Sub Wiring - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2006, 07:38 AM   #1
BEAN27 is offline BEAN27  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sub Wiring

HOW TO WIRE 2 DUAL VOICE COIL 4-OHM SUBS THAT HAVE MULTI-CONNECT LUG LOCK TERMINALS TO 1 2-OHM STABLE AMP?
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:27 AM   #2
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
There are four terminals correct? To connect the woofer's two 4 ohm coils in parallel will provide 2 ohms nominal, maybe lower so beware amp danger. To connect the two coils in phase, connect the two red or plus sides together and then the remaining two together. Use a small battery to check polarity if they are not marked. Mark the terminals that causes the cone to move forward when the battery plus side is touched.
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Oh, and typing in all caps is usually considered rude online.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 3rd May 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the two speaker drivers have four voice coils.

1. If you connect them all in parallel you end up with a quarter the nominal load of one voice coil.

2. If you connect the dual VC in each driver in series and then parallel connect the drivers then you end up with a nominal load equal to a single voice coil.

3. If you series connect the voice coils and then series connect the drivers you end up with four times the voice coil as your nominal load.

If each VC=4ohms then option 1 gives 1ohm,
option 2 gives 4 ohms and option three gives 16ohms. None are 2ohm equivalent.

If each VC=2ohm (making a 4ohm speaker) then option 1 gives 0r5, option 2 gives 2ohm and option 3 gives 8ohms.

You need to go back and look at you spreaker driver specifications and identify if you have dual 2ohm VC in each (=4ohm speaker) or dual 4ohm VC in each (=8ohm speaker).
Then you can connect appropriately.
Of the six combinations possible only one gives 2ohm (VC=2 option 2) and one gives 4ohm (VC=4 option 2, you will need to choose between the two.
Old 3rd May 2006, 07:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew
Maybe he is running a stereo amp, he doesn't really say much of the application he is intending in his post does he.. I think all of your assumptions is a single amp channel. Boy we both assume a lot given the lack of information.
BTW Are there any DVC 2 ohm speakers? I'm not aware of any, and if there are must be a very small number of them out there in the market, yes?
Old 3rd May 2006, 07:43 PM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I think there are quite a number of driver manufacturers that offer both 8ohm and 4ohm versions of their DVC speakers. The 4ohm versions must be dual 2ohm by definition. On that basis he could have either dual 2ohms or dual 4ohms.

But equally, we could wait till he responds, it's much quicker to double guess and risk the confusion that may ensue.
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew
Excuse my ignorance of DVC subs. Maybe you could point out a few examples of 2 coil drivers (DVC) with 2 ohms each. Thanks in advance but couldn't find any with a limited search.

Here is a link for the original poster.
http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/parser.html
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:50 PM   #8
tsc is offline tsc  Malta
diyAudio Member

Hi Infinia,
Cerwin vega stroker was available in dual 2 ohms version.I have one. Dont know about the latest model because mine is a few years old.
Bernard
Old 4th May 2006, 08:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Tsc
That must be a beast to drive for your amp. Are those CV's for car audio competitions?
Old 4th May 2006, 07:47 PM   #10
tsc is offline tsc  Malta
diyAudio Member

infinia,
Yes they are a beast to drive. I used it with a 1000w rms class d amp on each coil. it peaked 147.8 db with it in the first competition but nearly burnt the coil. Not musical subs though. only good for low bass.i checked even the new versions are 2 ohms per coil with an amazing 40mm X max in each direction.only good for spl competitions

Hide this!Advertise here!