Sensurround horns - any information please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a pair that I have had for about 30 years.

These two sensurround subwoofers are fully functional and the speaker drivers are the original earthquake 189E 18". The cabinets have been upgraded for road travel.
My name is Harry Price. I live in Sacramento, California. These speakers are just sitting in my garage waiting for a purpose in life. Let me know if they are useful to someone. Thanks. -Harry Price harryguitarsolo@gmail.com

I want to experience the movie and the earthquake!

How cool is this!!?? Great thread gang!

In the 90s ~ early 2000s, I was working in the Sound Department at Universal Studios on the lot in Hollywood. We were looking to beef up the subs in the Hitchcock theater which also was a mixing stage. To my surprise under the stage in front of the screen were 8 side-to-side W Horns the "M" series boxes complete with large open coil crossovers. (4'/4'/20")The bass extension was accomplished by opening the front doors "up" in the front of the stage. This resulted in a net 7~8 ft extension and this is how you got below 60HZ with these boxes.

Somehow it was that we were still a Cerwin Vega dealer and they could still recone all our woofers. I then set out to do the bass-add sin. I ported those boxes. I used a 1/2" wall 8"diameter plastic plumbing pipe, figured the port size for 25HZ tuning, rout-flaired the front of the port and back of the port, added a new 1" /12" front baffle panel which housed the port and walla I had a system that was tighter than a standard bass reflex and lower freq response than a horn loaded system. I added a Rane 48dB/oct crossover and some Crown Macro-ref amps and it was pretty impressive.

The "U-571" movie depth charges wanted to take down the building! :)
It did not have the punch of a TurboSound TSW-24 but it did have a lower much-needed frequency response. This was a fun project! :)

Here's a pair that I have had for about 30 years.

These two subwoofers are fully functional and the speaker drivers are the original 189E 18". The cabinets have been upgraded for road travel.
My name is Harry Price. I live in Sacramento, California. These speakers are just sitting in my garage waiting for a purpose in life. Let me know if they are useful to someone. Thanks. -Harry Price harryguitarsolo@gmail.com

What's the correct name of those CV enclosures?

I use to do front of house for a pop band in Melbourne/Australia, and they had a pair of those in their PA. (without the rat fur carpet and front carry handles). We use to call them "Cerwin Vega Double Ds" they had the dual 189E 18" Earthquake drivers. In fact, the band use to use a pink noise generator made from a transistor with a floating leg, and an adjustable low pass filter to create and earthquake type of sound in one of their songs, it was very effective.

Gee that takes me back seeing those, almost necrophilia! Is that the right expression?

Sensurround

Hi Ian
Have come across this post. You may have long gone from this site, but I was interested in your plans for making a sub. Have been swept away with memories of the old Forum and screening of Battlestar, easily the best of the sensurround films. I you still playing? Would love to build one of the units you pictured. Don’t have the space for two.
Look forward to hearing from you if you are still out there....

Mark Perry

Hi Ian
Have come across this post. You may have long gone from this site, but I was interested in your plans for making a sub. Have been swept away with memories of the old Forum and screening of Battlestar, easily the best of the sensurround films. Are you still playing with this stuff? Would love to build one of the units you pictured. Don’t have the space for two.
Look forward to hearing from you if you are still out there....

Mark Perry

what might be a good/fudged estimate of the added path and mouth area for this cabinet when pointed into a room's corner?

here's a rough sim loaded with Eminence's Sigma 18. If I weren't so old, I'd love to build one just to have. Any improvements - corrections to my sim would be appreciated. (got a flu right now)

pARlXfg.png

pg6BJRn.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.