Sensurround horns - any information please? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2013, 01:00 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
The Epicenter Bass Restoration Processor

If you are looking for electronics to enhance the low frequencies, then you might want to look at the Audio Control Epicenter signal processor. This was a popular piece in the car audio scene. The way I understand it, it samples the bass frequency content of the incoming signal and then synthesizes an additive signal that is an octave lower. So if you have some 35Hz bass coming through, it will add in some 17.5Hz information and sum it with the original signal. It is a 12VDC device, so you’ll need a 12VDC wall transformer to run it. You can also read the patent on it, it is patent number 4698842.
Look up DBX-120A Subharmonic Synthesizer

Dave
Old 13th May 2013, 02:09 PM   #32
JLH is online now JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadydave View Post
Look up DBX-120A Subharmonic Synthesizer

Dave
^ This too.
Old 13th May 2013, 07:00 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

What's the point of the synthesiser? Have you actually seen the LFE content available in some movies?
The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
Old 13th May 2013, 09:13 PM   #34
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Are you sure the efect hasn't been added to the commercial DVD releases of the movie?
According to this they made a mess of it and why he wants to make a transfer with the correct soundtrack: Amazon.com: P. T. Chamberlain's review of Earthquake

Hopefully, they will get it right for the BD release, but then it's Universal, so not holding my breath in anticipation.

GM
Old 15th May 2013, 09:10 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
According to this they made a mess of it and why he wants to make a transfer with the correct soundtrack: Amazon.com: P. T. Chamberlain's review of Earthquake
I know; the line before that you deleted in reply explained that you don't need the speakers at all to add LFE to a track these days, especially if it's something simple like switched BW limited random noise. You can do it on an average desktop PC with suitable authoring software and a suitable plug in or two.

FWIW, I'm all for him fixing up the track if it's not to par.
Old 15th May 2013, 02:37 PM   #36
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

So you're saying that the mains and/or the LFE channel[s] can be programmed to accurately 'clone' the signal that the outboard synthesizer generated to get the desired 'experience'?

While we're on the subject, I don't understand why 120 dB/16 Hz is needed since the original design spec'd the horns with a 15 Hz cutoff, ergo ~23 Hz is pretty much the lower limit the system can go with authority, which falls in line with what I've read/been told about the controller 'doubling' the soundtrack's 55-110 Hz BW to add ~22.5-55 Hz content.

Note too that the system was supposedly adjusted until an overall SPL of 95 dB (A scale) was achieved at the center of the theater, with no more than 110 dB (C scale) 4 feet in front of any horn, so again, where's the need for 120 dB/16 Hz to accurately replicate the original's experience?

Also, there's control tones at 25, 35 Hz, but it's not clear to me what these do or if they are even reproduced by the controller.

GM
Old 15th June 2013, 03:24 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

LOL the picture shows the scale but that won't fit in my home cinema its too deep.
Old 26th June 2013, 06:33 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Subwoofers

The subwoofer forum has plans for several speaker cabinets that work below
20 Hz. Danley sound labs does work for amusement parks (Disney, etc).

Forum members have designed, built and tested speakers that can hit 110dB at
18Hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!