dual driver sealed sub example - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2006, 09:24 AM   #1
gwgjr31 is offline gwgjr31  United States
diyAudio Member

Default dual driver sealed sub example

Hi,
So I'm still exploring options for my first subwoofer project. One of the list members suggested building a subwoofer with opposing 12" drivers instead of a single 15" or 18" driver. The claimed advantages were lower distortion and less vibration/walking. I'd like to explore the option, so any links to sample projects online would be greatly appreciated. Would a multi-12" peerless xlr setup make sense?

I know it seams backward, but I had access to a workshop last weekend so I went ahead and cut wood for a 18"x18"x21' box. I had a limited opportunity to use the workshop and took advantage even though I wasn't sure about my design. So, I now have cut wood for a sealed box with about 3.84 cubic feet of volume. So, my question is, would I hear a noticable differnece between a dual 12" design vs. a 15" design. Also, is distortion a problem for smaller sealed boxes with a Linkwitz transform? My amp for the project is a 1000W class D plate amp.

One thing I didn't mention before, I already own a Boston Acoustics PV1000 which has a 10" driver with a pr and a 1000W amp in a very small enclosure. I really enjoy the sub for home theater, but I want to build something different for my first diy attempt.
Thanks!
Gary
Old 1st May 2006, 02:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
If you find 15" drivers that work well with less than 2 cubic feet(which are somewhat rare) then they will work fine in your current enclosure. If you're planning to LT it, then 15" drivers shouldnt be as much of a problem to use.

What kind of budget are you planning for the drivers alone?
Old 1st May 2006, 07:03 AM   #3
gwgjr31 is offline gwgjr31  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like to limit my driver cost to under $250 per driver. I'm willing to spend more for a dual driver setup because I can always use the drivers to build two subs if I'm not happy with this effort.

Thanks,
Gary

Hide this!Advertise here!