dual driver sealed sub example

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
So I'm still exploring options for my first subwoofer project. One of the list members suggested building a subwoofer with opposing 12" drivers instead of a single 15" or 18" driver. The claimed advantages were lower distortion and less vibration/walking. I'd like to explore the option, so any links to sample projects online would be greatly appreciated. Would a multi-12" peerless xlr setup make sense?

I know it seams backward, but I had access to a workshop last weekend so I went ahead and cut wood for a 18"x18"x21' box. I had a limited opportunity to use the workshop and took advantage even though I wasn't sure about my design. So, I now have cut wood for a sealed box with about 3.84 cubic feet of volume. So, my question is, would I hear a noticable differnece between a dual 12" design vs. a 15" design. Also, is distortion a problem for smaller sealed boxes with a Linkwitz transform? My amp for the project is a 1000W class D plate amp.

One thing I didn't mention before, I already own a Boston Acoustics PV1000 which has a 10" driver with a pr and a 1000W amp in a very small enclosure. I really enjoy the sub for home theater, but I want to build something different for my first diy attempt.
Thanks!
Gary

If you find 15" drivers that work well with less than 2 cubic feet(which are somewhat rare) then they will work fine in your current enclosure. If you're planning to LT it, then 15" drivers shouldnt be as much of a problem to use.

What kind of budget are you planning for the drivers alone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.