Dayton Titanic MkIII 15" woofer -- problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just got my dayton sub from parts express.the woofer is seized.the coil seamed to be stuck some how.i called and was told that sometimes during shipping the magnets can shift and jam the voice coil.is this possible?he also said that this can happen even if theres no damage to the outside.this makes no sence to me.

I could see it as possible but unlikely. I can see the cone sagging possibly if left in one position for a long period of time and possibly dragging.
I have a difficult time ever having the magnet actually move. I've taken apart enough and I'm pretty sure the magnet will be glued to the front and back plate and then the structure will be screwed into from the cast iron frame, likely under the spider. The way most(excluding some peavy, memphis ect) speakers are designed, the frame and motor assembly can't be change or moved. Many can be reconed where cone, spider down to voice coil is replaced as one.

My bad, I read your post with the wrong attitude, I felt like you were trying to say this isn't possible, and I was just amazed you would care, I mean, they will be replacing the woofer right?

I too cannot see magnets ever moving, however if jostled hard enough I could see a voicecoil being tilted and locking up in the motor assembly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.