Advice on a 15"+ sealed subwoofer design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Advice on a 15"+ sealed subwoofer design

Hi,
I've been searching the web the last few weeks looking for a design that fits my requirements, but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I will be using the sub for both HT and 2ch. stereo. I have no size constraints on the sub, but I want it to be sealed. I'm also planning to use active equalization to extend the low frequency response.
I would like to buid a sealed box using either a 15" or 18" woofer. I've already purchased a 1000W plate amplifier for the project. I'd like to limit the driver price to <$300. Ideally the -3dB point would be 25Hz or lower. The current listening room is abot 15'x20'.
With the large plate amplifier and active equalization, is there any reason to build a larger box. With the power ratings of the woofers I'm finding in this price range, it appears that I won't be able to fully utilize the amp unless I build a higher Q box.
Initially I was planning to use an AV15 for the design, but I've had trouble getting in touch with the supplier.

Anyways, any suggestions on box designs or driver selection would be greatly appreciated.

Since you're in US, try http://www.ascendantaudio.com

They have many drivers in your price range. Call them, they don't answer much to emails afaik.

If you use active equalization, you need a huge amplifier like you have. In a situation where your driver is using 100W for a 40 Hz sinewave, it might require 1000W with active EQ at 20 Hz to achieve the same loudness.

The size of the box with active EQ is less important, but a larger box will be more efficient so you'll have more headroom with your amplifier.

UrSv said:

What's wrong with the numbers? That's for instance the standard numbers for the NHT1259 in a 117 l box. F3 below 30 Hz. With higher SPL...

You seem to be confusing max SPL with efficiency. Max SPL takes excursion and power handling. Efficiency is different, typically requiring lighter diaphragms, stronger magnets, larger surface areas, and bigger boxes. The NHT is more like 88dB range, vs. 96, in terms of efficiency.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Frequency response BMS 18" - well I may not have been totally wrong about that - it says about the 18" "neo" driver with +/-13mm linear stroke that its measurements are specified in 150liter closed box - Vb/Fb 150 L/ 28hz - seems to me it is almost straight down to 30hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.