Home Theater Sub Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Everybody!
I am looking to buy a subwoofer that will be used in my bedroom for a home theater application. I plan on using the base of my waterbed as an enclosure (try to make use of some of that wasted space) so there isn't much of a size restriction. To power the sub, I have a 250 watt Class AB Amp from PartsExpress. A few drivers that have been recommended to me so far are:

DAYTON RSS315HF-4 12" HIGH FIDELITY SUBWOOFER
DAYTON TIT320C-4 12" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER
PEERLESS 830500 XLS 12" SUBWOOFER
Adire Audio Shiva 12D8

I would like to keep the price around the range of those listed above. Other than that I am open to just about any suggestions!
I have a Sony STR-DB930 receiver and my main L/R are a pair of JBL Studio Monitor 4410.

Thanks for your help!
-Focus

Alright so i've been doing some research on this horn business... I have built sealed and vented sub boxes before and I think I could handle building a horn enclosure, however, I don't think I know quite enough to do all the designing myself. Something like this http://diy.cowanaudio.com/hornsub.html looks very appealing to me and I should have enough room for it as a bed base. I would plan on using the Eminence Omega Pro 18 driver (to save some money). My concerns are:
1. I only have a 250 watt amp... I know these designs are efficient, but will this be enough power?
2. If 250w isn't enough for the 18, would it be ok for a 12" or 15" driver?
3. I've read that horn designs don't scale well... Would it be practical to even use a 12" or 15" driver or would I be better off just building a sealed or vented box?

Thanks for looking!
-Focus

Hi,
based on Tom Danley's info, his horn produced the same SPL (volume) as (from memory) 5times as many vented boxes driven with 10times as much power.

On that basis your 250W will sound more like 2.5kW.

My opinion, if it's worth anything; 250W is more than enough for ANY domestic situation.
The longer you make the flare rate the lower it will go and the less likely it will unload as the horn reaches it's low limit.

I, somewhat jokingly, said in another thread he should buy an ipod to drive his bass horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.