help with driver specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I inherited two 15" subs from my son's car system and wanted to try to use them in my DIY home theater. I plan on building my own box(s) but haven't been able to use any design software because I don't know any of the driver specs.
What I do know:
4 ohm, 310 watt max, 15" 30 ounce (magnet)
They are called Y2K Titan and have a sphinx logo on the driver.
Any help locating the info or, at least, some insight on how to proceed sans the info would be greatly appreciated.

Cal,
Sorry about that short reply.
I have heard about the wall or ceiling option before and was wondering how (or if) that is any more effective than just taking a wild guess and building a box. Other than the time and materials of course.

Simon5
I have the multimeter. are you aware of anything for the pc that would work as a sig gen?

threegee said:
Cal,
Sorry about that short reply.
I have heard about the wall or ceiling option before and was wondering how (or if) that is any more effective than just taking a wild guess and building a box. Other than the time and materials of course.

Simon5
I have the multimeter. are you aware of anything for the pc that would work as a sig gen?

For a quick and easy signal gen I use WinISD. Jost open a project, then set the signal generator to get the frequency from cursor. Now click and drag with the mouse. This method lets you quickly dial in the resonance frequency by measuring current.

Dan

Thank you Simon5 and the others for the helpful links and software !!!
I am an absolute beginner with the urge to learn more and more (I wish I had more time...though)

A little bit off-topic maybe:
The tone generator that you recommend is simply great tool, but I have a question: Every tool that I use for tone generation makes a buzzy sound when I put values from 19700-21000 Hz, through my Audigy 2 6.1 ? Is this a fault of my soundcard or all the soundcards that are available? It would be easy to come up with the opinion that this HF included in cds is making the sound playback dirtier...Is that true? What should I do?

Thanks in advance guys...:D

If your tweeter is an aluminium or titanium diaphragm, you could be hearing tweeter resonance.

What speakers are you using?

Also, the Audigy 2 is also a very poor performer that high in frequency. I don't know if SweepGen output in 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz. 48 kHz causes less problems that high in frequency with an Audigy 2.

The Creative X-Fi line corrected the problem with a beefy hardware resampling algorithm.

M-Audio Revolution line doesn't have this problem.

Silk domes are supposed to be very "smooth" that high usually...

Yeah at -6 dB it should be less loud... trying another soundcard is probably the best idea. Try an X-Fi or a M-Audio Revolution...

Most soundcards have problems that high, except high-end soundcards.

michaelpage26 said:
Hm! :D
Well, Seas seems to be a little different compared to other companies that measure their drivers in free air, isn't it?
Does these measurements help a loudspeaker designer? I mean which one is preferable? (cabinet measuring or free air)

Regards,

Mike

Well, you get the best of both worlds. Some people want to have free air resonance and some people want a typical impedance curve. Usually you use speakers in a box, so the impedance curve in a box is usually more useful.

They give both, free air and in box measurements. Good stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.