Avalanche 18 project to commence: ready, set, review!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I hope to finally start building my enclosure for the above driver very soon, and would be grateful if someone could validate (or not) my approach before I start cutting..

Using the Adire ADA1200 plate amp, Unibox shows (if I read it correctly) that the driver is protected to below 20 cycles in a 150 litre enclosure. This is about 1 cu. ft. above the minimum suggested enclosure size on the old Ascendant web site, and ok for my space. I will add back the volume of all bracing, the plate amp, and driver as well to the 150 litres. My intention is to laminate 18mm Baltic Birch to 1" MDF, and follow established good construction and bracing principles discussed here and on other sites. I will certainly need some help with the LT circuit implementation, when the time comes.

The application is strictly HT of course, to be used in conjunction with either the Exodus 2641 mains/LCR centre kits or Jon Marsh's Modula MTM's and matching centre design.

My objective is to have a sub that will produce clean, tight, low bass in a medium size room (2,200 cu. ft.), and not to produce huge spl with it..

I would be grateful for some feedback on my plan before I get going...

Regards.

HT.

I'd nix the ADA1200, or have them send you extra fuses and give you the OK to up the fuse to 15 amp if 10 amp fuses blow on powerup(the amp doesnt have softstart). Otherwise you might have an amp that doesnt work for months whilst you wait for fuses(the 10amp fuses are available via partsexpress, but who wants to pay $1 for a box of fuses and $7 shipping, 15amp fuses of that size are practically impossible to find and adire is far from expedient).

I know this from experience

i'm in the same boat.i have the ada1200 and also will be needing help with the LT circuit implementation .i wich i could have found a 18" but i had to settle for the DAYTON 15" TITANIC.none of the other woofers i wanted were in stock at the other suppliers.start the 4cft box tommorow--it's going to be real heavy!!!

ADA1200 Issues

BassAwdyO,

I am sorry to hear of the problems you had with this amplifier. Mine has been sitting in its box since I bought it last year. One would hope that Adire would stand behind their products-this is certainly no bargain basement plate amplifier either, as we both know. Don't know what I would do with it other than give it a go now-I would take a beating selling it, and it has not even been out of its box yet!

Perhaps I will email Adire and make inquiries about the amp, at least see what they say about any reported reliability problems...

Thanks you for your comments,

HT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.