Peerless XXLS 830845 suitability - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers
Home Forums Rules Articles The diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Community

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2006, 11:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless XXLS 830845 suitability

Hi all,

I've just paid for 2 Peerless XXLS 12 inch 830845 subs. They are yet to be delivered. After doing my research and plugging numbers into equations I figure this sub is OK for sealed and ported designs with an EBP of 45.74 and a Qtc of 0.45.

Yet I have seen a few things in internet land that reckon these subs are only used in sealed apps.....

I am planning two ported boxes with a 4 inch port in each. The figures give me a 3dB at 18Hz or so and a size of 234 litres. Am I all wrong ?

Please don't tell me I've wasted money or that I really do need to go the sealed route ... !

Cheers !
Old 11th April 2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Garbz is offline Garbz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Garbz Send a message via MSN to Garbz
I was looking at these recently too. They would be great if the numbers are right for a ported box, but in a sealed system they gave me a corner frequency of 35Hz or even higher IIRC. A waste since my speakers can go that low.

Very interested in any response if these are suitable for a ported box.
Old 11th April 2006, 01:49 PM   #3
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

The 830845 has been optimised for tuning in a small sealed enclosure and the info from Tymphany does show a sealed application as well as the data supplied to me as a reseller.

You could start trying a 100L or so vented box with Fb around 22Hz which would give a reasonable response..... depends on what you are after.

Just keep modelling and forget about the optimum that the software shows.... tailor the response to your needs.

http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/appview.php?id=30

For vented the more suitable drivers would be the 830500 or 830847 if you have the amp to drive the DVC in parallel.
Old 11th April 2006, 08:16 PM   #4
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

There's no problems going ported with those drivers.

If you go at 200+ liters I would tune around 15-16 Hz, to have an EBS alignment.
Old 11th April 2006, 10:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys,

From your responses, it looks a possibility !!

I'm new to the game so for me I can really only assume the figures spell out reality. Experience will tell me things I'm sure.

I'll go with the ~230 litre vented option and see what gives. The only reason I'm going with vented is to chase the low Hz. Otherwise my system is sealed.

I will check up on the other options mentioned though.

Thanks again,
Old 12th April 2006, 04:13 AM   #6
Garbz is offline Garbz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Garbz Send a message via MSN to Garbz
I'm in the same boat as you. I want my sub just to backup the last 2 octaves in the audible range i'm missing. The sealed enclosure puts the -3db point at around 40hz according to the app note. Well that's what my speakers do so ... that's kinda pointless.

Keep us informed how you go with this sub. The other option I was thinking of involved a passive radiator. But at an extra $200 for that part it was not really an option.

Hide this!Advertise here!