Just an idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if it would be possible (or has been done) to make a speaker that uses hydrolics to increase the movement of the speaker. Using solenoid to move hydrolic fluid which can be used to increase the speed and movement of a speaker. As shown in the (badly drawn) diagram.

Doing this with a big electromagnet to drive the fluid the surface area of the speaker could be huge. It would only be any good for very low (almost subsonic) frequencys. But could seriouly make some bass.

What do you all think?

Attachments

• hydrolic speaker.jpg
    hydrolic speaker.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 331
To what end? You are simply trading surface area for excursion. Since displacement is the produce of both, you are gaining nothing. The net result would be that the only difference would be that you'd be adding driven mass and friction, neither of which is a good thing. On top of that, if you believe that doppler distortion is something that can produce noticeable degradation, you are actually better off giving up excursion for greater surface area. The only benefit I see is being able to reduce excursion in the motor, and not having to go to great lengths to provide linear power at such great excursions. But it seems the negatives would far outweigh the positives.

Could 2 hydrolic pumps with very fast valves that open proportional to the low frequency bass be used. This would mean that a much cheaper way of producing power could be used. I.E. and engine?

The valves would have to move at a speed allowing each to open and close more than 100 times per second. Allowing bass up to 50hz.
The fluid would also have be under huge pressure.
If this was possible to make then the bass from it could be almost unlimited as the SA and excursion could be huge allowing for huge bass due to the power available from the engine. There would be no problems with heating except friction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.