twin 15" sonosub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
twin 15" sonosub

I've looked around in this area and havent seen anything on a twin driven sonosub.
Here's my idea - I salvaged a pair of 15" woofers from a cheesy pair of old JVC 3 way speakers (mid 90's).
They look great and I've had the itch to use them in a diy format.
I like the idea of a sonosub- - (low cost)
I am not looking to do any structral damage to my house. I mostly use my setup for HT. A little low end thump would be nice nothing boomy. But I really like the clean smooth understated power type of sound. I could drive them from a seperate amp to limit the output. But I want to use both 15" in a single enclosure.
So I turn to you -- the experts out there have you built something like this? seen something like this ? have any ideas ?
Ported ? push\pull? or am I just having a pipe dream ?

Ok I really like this.
Any ideas as to the actual set-up, baffling inside the box?
My actual idea was to have 2 drivers facing each other at about 6 --8 ft apart inside a 30 inch dia sonotube. they would share a common port.
Sort of like a "W" box or bandpass box.

if anythign woudlnt taht make some sort or weird isobaric ported box? if the two drivers are firing in the same driection, even if theres a box between them, the wavelengths are longenough that inside that box is only a uniform pressure change, so it woudl be the same as having a proted box and the two drievrs botled face to face firing the same driection. in whcih case the only thign he gains by having two drivers is lower distorti0on due to SLIGHTLY longer xmax, a smaller box, and a possable 3db increase (or decrease!) in power from his amp (since the load would change either from 8 to 4 or from 4 to 2 or 4 to 8 ohms or whatever...you get the picture)

those big subs with the boxes on the bottom were i think the el-pipos or soemthing liek that. IIRC they were a transmission line tuned REALLY low with a pair of temptests on the bottom. Those arent proted or sealed those are TL.

BUT you could jsut as easily close the top of it off with a cap and stick a port in the cap and jstu have a big sonosub.

But why nto jsut have a shorter 24" sonosub with two end caps like the norm, and on each end cap have a 15 and a 4" port.

We also dont even know if the driver parameters are conducive to a subwoofer alignment. THey may have an FS of 50hz, and make good pa bass bins, but wont be worth a damn for HT (imo at least). So see if you can find any TS parameters before you get your heart set on a pair of subwoofers. BUT if they are a high QTS woofer and not great as a subwoofer ou can use them for dipoles etc. as long as you dont give yourself contraints pretty much every driver has an alignment it woudl do very well in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.