Car speakers for home audio. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2006, 01:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Car speakers for home audio.

Seems like I read somewhere, (probably here) that car speakers (Woofers) are not usualy suitable for home use. Is this true, and if so why?
I was checking out Infinities line of VQ car woofers and they seem like a DIY's, dream come true because they have variable Q.
Old 30th March 2006, 02:01 AM   #2
clem_o is offline clem_o  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Car subs usually have a fairly high Qts, as they are designed to work into a large (almost infinite) baffle volume. Trying to use them in the house translates to very large boxes.

I am not familiar with the Infinity VQ series, but if they are, as you say, variable Q, then there shouldn't really be a reason why they can't be employed for home use...
Old 30th March 2006, 02:14 AM   #3
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
There are both low-Qts and high-Qts drivers. It's just a matter of finding the driver with the right parameters. Try to avoid fancy-looking stuff as it has usually the worst performance.
Old 30th March 2006, 02:24 AM   #4
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Car speakers for home audio.

Quote:
Originally posted by Infinity buff
Seems like I read somewhere, (probably here) that car speakers (Woofers) are not usualy suitable for home use. Is this true, and if so why?
I was checking out Infinities line of VQ car woofers and they seem like a DIY's, dream come true because they have variable Q.

any dual coil woofer with a potentiometer or resistor across one coil can be used as a "variable q" transducer.
Old 30th March 2006, 03:38 AM   #5
soloxp is offline soloxp  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a kicker Comp 15" in a 4.3cuft box. The damn thing will drop some deep bass. I just have a PE 250w amp. Soon to be a 51" tall sonotube. I say go for it and have fun.
Old 30th March 2006, 09:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Car speakers for home audio.

Quote:
Originally posted by Infinity buff

Completely false, many car audio subwoofers are designed for competition, huge surrounds, big displacement and they can compromise sound quality. They are designed with dual and quad voice coils so you can get the dcr to 1ohm or lower so you can get more power into it, if your amp can take it. Home subwoofers are typically 4ohms now.
Old 31st March 2006, 01:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Seems like there is a range of opinion. The main reason I am interested, is that I purchased a pair of Vifa 10" model # MA26wr09-04, on Ebay for $200. I bought them because the specs looked good for what I want, i.e they will play low in a 1.5cu ft box. I didn't get around to noticing that they are car speakers, untill I had already paid for them-oops! However, the specs look as good as many home speakers- except the sensativity is only 83.3 db. Hopefully they will work good- if not, off to ebay they will go once again.
Clearly, not all car speakers are suitable for home, but it sounds like some, probably are, (hopefully the ones I bought ARE!) I will update this post when I get them installed and let everyone know.
About the Infinity VQ series: They actualy use metal inserts into the magnets to vary the Q. The link is below for anyone interested.
http://infinitysystems.com/caraudio/...y.aspx?Ser=KPE
Old 1st April 2006, 05:46 AM   #8
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

What would a decent Qts be for a car subwoofer which could be used for home theatre?
Old 2nd April 2006, 05:25 PM   #9
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vivek
What would a decent Qts be for a car subwoofer which could be used for home theatre?

assuming you're porting it for maximum low end, ..i'd say 0.3 - 0.4 something, .... with a low Fs.

look at the specs for the adire shiva 12"(or it's dayton DVC clone) for an example of what specs a HT sub driver could have.
Old 3rd April 2006, 01:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Infinity and Kicker are not musical subwoofers, I would not use either in any thing personally. Infinitiy over rates their Perfect series, they are nothing amazing, just over priced.

Sealed enclosures will probably not be very big, but ported are likely to be really big.

Hide this!Advertise here!