Car speakers for home audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Car subs usually have a fairly high Qts, as they are designed to work into a large (almost infinite) baffle volume. Trying to use them in the house translates to very large boxes.

I am not familiar with the Infinity VQ series, but if they are, as you say, variable Q, then there shouldn't really be a reason why they can't be employed for home use...

Infinity buff said:
Seems like I read somewhere, (probably here) that car speakers (Woofers) are not usualy suitable for home use. Is this true, and if so why?
I was checking out Infinities line of VQ car woofers and they seem like a DIY's, dream come true because they have variable Q.

any dual coil woofer with a potentiometer or resistor across one coil can be used as a "variable q" transducer.

Infinity buff said:
Seems like I read somewhere, (probably here) that car speakers (Woofers) are not usualy suitable for home use. Is this true, and if so why?
I was checking out Infinities line of VQ car woofers and they seem like a DIY's, dream come true because they have variable Q.

Completely false, many car audio subwoofers are designed for competition, huge surrounds, big displacement and they can compromise sound quality. They are designed with dual and quad voice coils so you can get the dcr to 1ohm or lower so you can get more power into it, if your amp can take it. Home subwoofers are typically 4ohms now.

Seems like there is a range of opinion. The main reason I am interested, is that I purchased a pair of Vifa 10" model # MA26wr09-04, on Ebay for $200. I bought them because the specs looked good for what I want, i.e they will play low in a 1.5cu ft box. I didn't get around to noticing that they are car speakers, untill I had already paid for them-oops! However, the specs look as good as many home speakers- except the sensativity is only 83.3 db. Hopefully they will work good- if not, off to ebay they will go once again.
Clearly, not all car speakers are suitable for home, but it sounds like some, probably are, (hopefully the ones I bought ARE!) I will update this post when I get them installed and let everyone know.
About the Infinity VQ series: They actualy use metal inserts into the magnets to vary the Q. The link is below for anyone interested.
http://infinitysystems.com/caraudio/category.aspx?Ser=KPE

Quite some time ago, about 10 years, I stumbled upon a JBL GTI 1200 Car-subwoofer. It was on sale, so I decided to play with WinISD a bit. What I then achieved, made me buy one instantly. (for WinISD-designers: try a 6th order, front room 31 L, tuning 50Hz, back room 171 L, tuning 22Hz, values are 'or so'). I got a straight line from 22 to 50 Hz:bigeyes: ...
The first cabinet I made stunned me, so I bought a second woofer:D . Okay, I know these beasts can handle 600W RMS (at which I got frightened, 'cause I then lived with my parents in an old house), but the sensitivity is 93 dB/W. I even got to measure the floor resonance with these things:eek: , about 14 Hz, but that was quite frightening on the first floor.
Anyway, I still own these things, though I must say they are rather slow (but that's because of the 6th order and low tunings I guess) and I recently got the opportunity to measure them. I borrowed a Neutrik amplitude-measurement system incl. mic, but the readings I got were different then WinISD predicted. The port of the front housing played from 28 to 50 Hz, and the rear port played from 20Hz straight to 31Hz (Neutrik couldn't measure <20Hz), BUT sensitivity was about 6 dB lower than the front port. I suspect I used too much stuffing:( .

My point: it can't hurt to try what is available.

I installed the Vifa's I bought on ebay. They sound very smooth and musical- a great improvement over the stock woofers. They don't seem to play as loud as the originals though. Partly I think that is because they have less distortion, but also they are less efficient. Fortunately my speakers have adjustments for the mids and highs so I can get them to blend pretty well. Coupled with my powered sub they sound increadable. So in this case, the care speakers are a good fit.

Vivek said:
The DIY community in India is very small. Since the demand is small it is difficult to get good sub drivers. I was looking at using the JBL car subs for HT use. JBL, Infinity, Sony, Kicker, Alpine, Blau, Polk Audio stuff is freely available.

If you can find some T/S parameters about the stuff you can have I could help you.

You can probably discard Sony already.

Try to find Vas, Qts, Fs and Xmax.

simon5 said:

If you can find some T/S parameters about the stuff you can have I could help you.

You can probably discard Sony already.

Try to find Vas, Qts, Fs and Xmax.

simon5,

can u pls also help me decide if my car sub is suitable for a home sub? the sub driver is a 12" JL Audio (w3v2 model)- 2 ohms dual voice coil. below are the parameters u required:

Vas = 3.65 ft3 (103.4 liters)
Qts = 0.449
Fs = 24.3 hz
Xmax = 0.513 in (13.0 mm)

cheers,

weng

vivek...sorry for the tread jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.