great music subwoofer on a budget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bickeler said:
Hey I notice on this forum many people advise buying rythmik amps.Are you serious?They look kinda of like the $13 module amps that are sold through many cheap online eletronics outfits?And the build quality hmm well I don't know what to say.Other than they look pretty cheaply made.

:hot: Hmmm.. Which to base my purchase on... Bickeler's pure speculation, or first hand experience from people who own Rhythmik amps...
Gosh, I just don't know!!! :whazzat:

How am I speculating on the rythmik amps?You can see the build quality in the pictures on thier site or even ebay.I have owned many amplifiers and even modified a few in my day.I think from what my eyes tell me these amps are low quality.But since people today are so use to buying low quality Chinese goods maybe it's hard for many to tell the difference.I am not however telling anybody what do with their money so enjoy.

Mark all I'm syaing is too many people recommend drivers without having tested them.(And I don't mean to Led Zepplin.)One should at least be able to verify that the TS parameters are close to what a company says they are.As many companies sell drivers that have parameters way off spec.If one recommends a driver that says Fs19hz,qts.34,xmax15mm and in reality they are fs24hz,qts.44,xmax 12mm how would this be a recommendable driver?This is common stuff too,I have heard many people test even Seas driver that were a bit off.Now with a company that is not well known and could just be mass producing a product with a cookie cutter mentality their drivers could so far off it'd be ridiculous.

I just bought the Assassin 12" and since I don't have an enclosure built for it yet, I'm borrowing a 1.25 cu ft sealed box from a friend. I would highly recommend the Assassin in a sealed box if you'll only be using it for music. It's very capable of high output while at the same time being very well defined and controlled. The bass is very smooth and controlled compared to some SPL oriented drivers out there. I would highly reccommend the Assassin driver.

On a side note, when I get the money I'll be building a 3.5 cu ft ported enclosure tuned to 20 Hz. When room gain is taken into account an f3 around 18 Hz should be easy to reach, so I'd also suggest tuning around 20 Hz rather than 25 Hz.

How am I speculating on the rythmik amps?
Well Have you actually used one or tested one? Can you back up your assumtion (based on a website photo) that they are cheaply made?

Mark all I'm syaing is too many people recommend drivers without having tested them.
I only point out drivers that may interest people based on there posts. I also point out whether I have heard them first hand or not.It is up to the diyer himself to look at the options presented and make their own decision.
In this case I have experience with this driver and have heard it first hand.
As far as specs. go the production units can have a variation of any or all the specs.From any manufacturer. That is the nature of the manufacturing world. There are tremendous amounts of variables that "can" affect the outcome.
A A's products are built for them by a build house. They may assemble the drivers themselves I am not sure about that. I believe that vifa's build house make the midwoofer 6.5" and the tweeter is a custom vifa xt25. I am not sure who makes the motors for there subs but I know they aren't made in-house.
I read all of this at there official forum which is no longer active now. It was over at carstereos.org.
What does Led Zepplin have to do with this?

i've owned the PE 240 watt model and was not pleased at all with it! it has the soft clipping circuitry but it seems to hold back the punch that i have gotten out of other amps. i plan to get a different one later on and i think i'll give the rythmik audio brand a try. i'm thinking about maybe the 350 SE model. :)

ok now after doing alittle more research i am pretty sure that i want the 15" QUATRO form dayton but i need to know if it would sound better in a 2.5cube foot sealed box or a 5.5 vented tuned to 20 hz with a 4inch and 12 inch long tube. I have read that the sealed would sound nicer and the vented would sound louder how much of a differnce is there really or is it just a myth? Also since it is a cheaper subwoffer will it sound boomy in a vented box or what?

ifonly said:
ok now after doing alittle more research i am pretty sure that i want the 15" QUATRO form dayton but i need to know if it would sound better in a 2.5cube foot sealed box or a 5.5 vented tuned to 20 hz with a 4inch and 12 inch long tube. I have read that the sealed would sound nicer and the vented would sound louder how much of a differnce is there really or is it just a myth? Also since it is a cheaper subwoffer will it sound boomy in a vented box or what?

I have the Quattro in a 3 ft^3 sealed box with a BASH 300 W amp in my HT rig, and it works pretty well. I'm using a Behringer DSP1124 equalizer to extend the bottom end (and flatten a couple of nasty room peaks), at the expense of ultimate loudness. That trade works for me. A vented box would play lower and louder without EQ, but would be easier to bottom out on movie soundtracks with bass below 20 Hz.

I'd think about building a cheap and dirty sealed box first. If that works for you in your room, build a nicer looking one for keeps. If not, you can go for a vented box and try that.

Just to confuse you some more, it looks to me like the Assassin will play about equally as loud and low as the Quattro, but in a smaller box. I haven't heard one, so I can't comment on relative sound quality.

I have first hand experience with the AA assassins. They are great subs and I will be replacing my Brahma with one. The one I built for a friend sounded better and the box was much smaller. I don't have fancy test equipment, so I coudn't tell you if the T/S parameters were off. I'll have to go look again and see exactly what we did with the box as some of the design was changed last minute, but it's about 3.5 cubes tuned into the low 20's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.