AV15 or RL-p15 or Tumult 15

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I settled on a Adire 1200w plate amp. I'm going to make a sealed enclosure
~4.5-5^ft ..

I was going to get the RL-p15d2 driver, but I'd like to make sure it will work w/ the amp I selected..

The RL-p15d2 is $269, AV15180, and the Tumult 15d2 is $600 ..

Which would be the best in a sealed enclosure w/ the amp I selected ?

And which would be the second best (price wise/bang for the buck) ?

Thanks the help.

Regrads,
Jose

Also I'd add the RL-p15 $580 to the drivers under consideration..

So do anyone have an preference on these drivers in a sealed box ?

Considering the ADA amp will cost $600 and the most expensive driver would cost $600 , that's $1200 before the cost of the box itself.

Is it worth it ? Or should I get a Servo15 for $1750 ..

I mean would the best driver & amp out perform a servo15 sub ?

thanks for the help...

Regards,
Jose

I was personally dissatisfied with the ADA1200 amp. Lacking a softstart it blew countless 10amp fuses(the reccomended max stated in adire's tech manual) and eventually I had to use a 15amp fuse(which I could only get through adire and the gave me permission to use the larger size).

No complaints otherwise...

what do you mean by servo15?

The AV15 woofers are going to give you the best value as far as displacement per dollar(and what else do we really look for in SUBwoofers?), plus they have attractive aluminium cones and a "bottomless" design with 30mm Xsus and 23mmXmax unlike tumult which surely bottoms just as easily as the previous models.

The only problem with getting two AV15's is finding an amplifier to power out 1000watts into 8 or 2 ohms. Well I'd suggest building two seperate subs in this instace using two 500watt Dayton amps from partsexpress. This will give you more versitility with room placement(possible stereo bass configuration if that tickles your fancy). It also gives you the possibility to build a single one to start with and add a second later if you decide you need the extra output.

Consider only displacement/$ if all you want is powerful explosions on HT - for music you want more than that.

If you have mains that can get down to 40hz and cross your sub low enough It becomes of little issue, but I will agree the tumult has an awesome way of reproducing a kick drum unlike any sub I've ever heard(well I've heard subs that have the same SQ, but not at the levels a tumult will spit out)

So getting 2 - AV15 in a sealed enclosure w/ 2 - O Audio 500w Bash amps would be good ?

Yup... I'd suggest just getting one set for starters and if you decide you need more, you can get it. But if you know you'll want something louder(which I know I always do, but its your personal tastes not mine) then go for two.

The AV15 $180ea. is better than the SS RL-p15 $269ea. ?

They both have almost identical excursion and power handling while the AE driver has a higher sensitivity.... AE wins bang/buck

BA, crossing at 40 Hz will minimise the damage but it is still there. 2nd and 3rd order distortion products are in a more critical range - 80 and 120 Hz. I think there are better value drivers out there. I'd be more interested in those sound splitter drivers, ascendant audio or rythmik audio.

I am planning on building a very large bass horn to try to get some real accuracy out of my AV12s (it just so happens they model very well in the Lab horn and better in a larger version). Starting from scratch I'd choose different drivers.

soloxp,

Yes that's the place, but I'm told they are backorderd. Don't really know yet.

If they aren't in stock then I'll go w/ the SS RL-p15's ... Just not sure if to get the 500w BASH or the 1000w Dayton plate amp..

Also someone told me that 2 - 12" from O Audio would be better than 1 - 15" if I decide on only one driver/box.. Soo many options..

Regards,
Jose

BA, crossing at 40 Hz will minimise the damage but it is still there. 2nd and 3rd order distortion products are in a more critical range - 80 and 120 Hz. I think there are better value drivers out there. I'd be more interested in those sound splitter drivers, ascendant audio or rythmik audio.
I am planning on building a very large bass horn to try to get some real accuracy out of my AV12s (it just so happens they model very well in the Lab horn and better in a larger version). Starting from scratch I'd choose different drivers.

Paul,
I'll agree 100% that even crossing low will not solve all problems. distortion below 40hz goes up up up anyhow. The tumult is a very good driver at producing low frequencys with low distortion and I've yet to hear a driver that did a better job.

I dont know how critical Jose's listening tastes are though, so whats best for him is for him to decide. Hopefully our opinions might help him make the right decision

Now if only someone who has used those sound-splitter drivers would chime in and give a subjective report on them!

"Servo15" , I'm talking about the Paradigm Servo 15 sub..

Right now I cross my center & rears at 60hz and my mains at 40hz.

My speakers are pretty old. I have some Polk SDA SRS2 (mains) and SDA 1C's (rear) and a csi5 center. W/ a AVM20v2 pre and 3 carver TFM amps powering each set w/ the center bi-amped.

I really care about quality bass, because right now I have a Paradigm pw2200 sub and I find it real boomy.. Plus it doesn't fill my room w/ alot of clean bass. 20 x 22 x 10 ft ..

I think I'll go w/ the RL-p15 w/ either a O Audio 500w bash amp or get the 1000w Dayton amp. Not sure what to do.. :xeye:

I'm still considering the 15" Tumult only because it seems to be highly regarded. And I'd like to do this right the first time. But I also see alot of people using the AV15 & RL-p15 ...

One thing, the O Audio Bash amp does have an adjustable rumble filter (12, 16, 20, 25hz) while the Dayton amps 500/1000w have their rumble filter set to 18-20hz.

Is this a big deal in a sealed enclosure ?

Thanks everyone,

BTW, Does anyone sell a 1000w Bash plate amp ?

Regards,
Jose

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it in most cases, if you mean by "outperform" that it would be more accurate.

I recall a review of a number of subs in which a 4x12" vented Genelec sub seemed to be preferred over a 1x18" sealed velodyne servo - perhaps not a fair comparison but the larger sub managed to get similar distortion (and higher output) with more displacement and a vented design.

If I were you I'd seriously consider a pair of vented Rythmik 12" servo subs. I'd then stuff all vents and cross all speakers at 80 Hz - you will find most vented speakers that go down to 40 Hz (F3) will have a 2nd order rolloff below 80 Hz when converted this way, and it is easy to cross to the sub. Rythmik will provide either a 2nd or 4th order crossover on their plate amps and unlike most plate amps they provide an appropriate rumble filter to protect the driver below tuning.

Those Soundslitter drivers appear to be good, but from what I can tell the Rythmik drivers are just as good BEFORE the servo is added, after which I'd expect noticeable improvement.

BassAwdyO said:

Yup... I'd suggest just getting one set for starters and if you decide you need more, you can get it. But if you know you'll want something louder(which I know I always do, but its your personal tastes not mine) then go for two.

They both have almost identical excursion and power handling while the AE driver has a higher sensitivity.... AE wins bang/buck

The AV15 I is our TC2+ which is more like an RL-i, which is a 2" VC. The RL-p is our TC9 which is a simply a more substantial driver in every way. Bigger motor, bigger 3” VC, and has a far better BL^2/Re result.

The TC9 is the TC2+’s bigger brother.

Jose_L said:
Hello everyone,

I settled on a Adire 1200w plate amp. I'm going to make a sealed enclosure
~4.5-5^ft ..

I was going to get the RL-p15d2 driver, but I'd like to make sure it will work w/ the amp I selected..

The RL-p15d2 is $269, AV15180, and the Tumult 15d2 is $600 ..

Which would be the best in a sealed enclosure w/ the amp I selected ?

And which would be the second best (price wise/bang for the buck) ?

Thanks the help.

Regrads,
Jose

Jose_L said:
Also I'd add the RL-p15 $580 to the drivers under consideration..

So do anyone have an preference on these drivers in a sealed box ?

Considering the ADA amp will cost $600 and the most expensive driver would cost $600 , that's $1200 before the cost of the box itself.

Is it worth it ? Or should I get a Servo15 for $1750 ..

thanks for the help...

Regards,
Jose

You mean the "RL-s" for 580? Yes, that would easily be the best of the bunch, 3.75" maximum travel with complete linear BL makes for the most accurate super excursion driver on the market.

the current AV15 is under a second revision, MKII, and it is substantially better than the original TC2+ derived one.... I actually have listened to both the RP-L 15 and the AV15, and both are superb, and slightly favored the AV15 just for its visceral effect.

Kyle at TC sounds is right about the RP-L with its XBL^2, but John and Deon Bearded at AE have done a marvelous job of improving the AV15 to what it is now, and it will be hard to find a driver under $300 that can match its performance....PERIOD.

Speaking of, I decided to go with the AV15 for my project (after listening to several drivers, including a pair of LMT-15's), and it is finished:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

in a nutshell, it sounds better than my Current SVS PB-12 Ultra!!:bigeyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.