Any problem crossing stereo 12" subs at 150Hz? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2006, 01:41 AM   #1
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Default Any problem crossing stereo 12" subs at 150Hz?

I've seen a number of 12" subwoofer drivers with smooth response up to 300Hz and higher.

Is there a problem with crossover as high as 150Hz that I'm not grocking?
Old 21st March 2006, 01:52 AM   #2
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
it's fine if used as a woofer (one for each speaker). if using only one, it doesn't work well since frequencies > 100Hz are directional.
Old 21st March 2006, 02:16 AM   #3
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cotdt
it's fine if used as a woofer (one for each speaker). if using only one, it doesn't work well since frequencies > 100Hz are directional.
In my design, it would be a stereo pair of subwoofers, each well within one wavelength (at 150Hz) of the mid driver.
Old 21st March 2006, 02:18 AM   #4
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
sounds good, my Dayton Reference 12" subs will cross over at 250Hz LR4.
Old 21st March 2006, 02:27 AM   #5
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Be careful with Hi-Fi drivers, because size is *not* what defines the ability of a speaker to behave properly at higher frequencies.

There are lots of 12" PA drivers that may be happily crossed over at 1500Hz with a tweeter and still sound fine, while there are also terrible 12" Hi-Fi and Car subs that start to show strange behaviour just above 100Hz.

Also, enclosure colouration due to standing waves, and notches and peaks due to internal box reflections can ruin the mid-bass response of any system. Paralell walls should be avoided completely when a driver playing mid-bass is mounted in a big enclosure.
Old 22nd March 2006, 01:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm actually quite interested in this too, as I will be building two subs using the 12" Dayton Reference HO powered by a Behringer EP2500. I have always found that my bass was "dippy", and thought that crossing over higher might solve that problem - looking forward to responses.

Can those particular drivers be crossed over this high?
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:29 AM   #7
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
mine is crossed at 500hz... I did glue a circle of felt to the distcap though. That makes them sound quite lovely. The surround damps the outer edge of the cone. I used gule stick to glue on the felt. It is cool because water will quickly disole the glue if i ever choose to remove it. sounds good!
Old 22nd March 2006, 01:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The main limiting factor in many subs is accuracy. I've crossed my subs with a 4th order filter at 80 Hz and prefer a lower xo point. It depends on how well your sub driver performs up that high. If your driver is happy operating up as high as 80 Hz then there is good reason to cross at this point and no higher, and even consider putting both subs together in one corner, but there are a lot of ifs and buts on this one.
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:15 PM   #9
mazurek is offline mazurek  United States
diyAudio Member

The measurements I've seen of the Dayton Reference show its frequency response is only flat until about 200 Hz, then usable until 1kHz. Can't remember the source, but have casually measured mine with similar results.

Lee
Old 23rd March 2006, 01:11 PM   #10
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Stereo subs with bandwidth limited mid/tweet setups is a great way to go imho. Gives you tons of flexibility in terms of design- you can easily squeeze 98dB w/m out of a small 2 way if it doesn't have to do *any* bass, opening up the door to the lovely world of SET without having to use humongous speakers, sacrifice low frequency extension, or shell out for a 211.

<edit> This of course requires subs that sound good up high, as should be obvious </edit>

Hide this!Advertise here!