Ultimate Subwoofer Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ultimate Subwoodfer Driver for Highend Home Audio?

Hi Guys ,
I have a question can MTX audio Jack hammer 22 inch subwoofer be used as a high-end subwoofer for krell FPB amps.
I want to use it for High-End home purpose.
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pr...jackHammer.cfm.
I see that these subwoofers are about 369 pounds per driver.
JackHammer is the most enormous, mind-blowing subwoofer ever created. You will literally not believe it until you see it. Standing in at 23” tall, 369 pounds, and with 12,000 watt peak music power handling, you will be hard-pressed to find something that will get in the ring with this heavyweight.

Carbon fiber and glass fiber dust cap with aluminum honeycomb center

Expanded polypropylene cone with mica filler for reduced mass and increased stiffness

FEA designed progressive roll spider with 10 AWG integrated tinsel leads woven in to allow for 2.5” of linear cone movement one way .That is 5" Xmax

900 ounce strontium ferrite magnet with extended magnetic field gap technology and aluminum shorting ring

6.5” voice coil with a flat wound, long-excursion design incorporating 2.5” of x-max and 17 AWG high temperature aluminum wire

Aluminum heatsink to maintain the optimum voice-coil temperature

6,000 RMS, 12,000 peak music power .

I was wondering to construct the best available subwoofer.So if you guys have any suggestions.Please let me know

Why the infatuation with this MTX?

Looks like it'd go LOW (16.76 fs), and do 91.5 at 2.83v, but hey.... Looks like they recommend a 32hz tuning.

Remember that each power doubling only gets you three more db...

So, say I've got a sub, and I've got 115db at 256 watts.

118 at 512
121 at 1024
124 at 2048
127 at 4096
Maybe 128db...

Now, let's take 8 15" Quatros... Put 'em in about 6 cubes each, port'em for 20hz, and we'll throw a pair of Behringer EP2500s at 'em...

131db without a whole lotta hassle, other than a buncha boxes sitting in a row in the front of your theater. Heh, heh, heh...

Or you can stack them...

it's a 3-sided triangle... $$, SPL and Fs

Just how LOW can horns go? I'm having a hard time figuring out some of the stuff I've seen... I'm not overly concerned with 80hz on up - but if things drop off below 40hz, what's the use?

Today, I'm gluing together the first Big Box o' Whoopass (12 cubes, two Quatro 15s, ported to 21hz), but I'd been thinking of one of Fitzmaurice's Slim Tuba 36s... Everything I hear is "plenty of bass" but it seems that a lot of the pro sound folks don't even think that anything exists under 30hz... Of course, if they're trying to get people on the dance floor...

Hey, I've got the room...

You know, what I hate are albums where you KNOW they could benefit from a bit of care on the board, especially in the areas under 60hz...

I've got Prince's Purple Rain CD on right now - thought I'd give it a try with the larger amps and different xover point with my sealed 15"ers and my maggies...

It still sounds lame. Such a funk potential, and it's mixed for le disco that's using a 15 and a horn at each corner of the dance floor.

This is in contrast to the previous disk of the morning, which was Becker and Fagen's Two Against Nature... That puppy gets (well behaved) down with the low down....

I'm still drawing on MDF (and getting ready to go looking for my Jasper jigs), and hopefully by tonight, I'll have 4x15" down in The Bunker. They're not going to get run hard, but they will go low.

I don't think there is a SINGLE ultimate driver, but if you can stick enough individual drivers out there, things could get interesting. What'd be MORE interesting would be a time delay setup, so that the "blast wave" gets more focused...

ScottG,

I think the only thing that's slowing the down the risetime is Le.

Le is usually higher when you get high Xmax drivers because the coil is longer, but now we can find plenty of low Le high Xmax subwoofer drivers.

I'm sure that all low Le high Xmax designs will be on par with your low Xmax drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.