TB W8-704C mini Sonosub... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2006, 10:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TB W8-704C mini Sonosub...

I don't have pics yet, but i am in the progress of building my first (sono)sub.

I am using the TangBand 8" woofer that was on sale at PE a while back and a 150watt plate amp from MCM electronics.

The enclosure is tuned a little bit past FS to compensate for the 5db boost at 30-35hz on the plate amp.

I am using 12" sonotube from menards.

The one thing that puzzles me is what i am to do with this plate amp...I have yet to order it but it is clearly too big to put into a matching (diameter) base to the sub...

Should i just put it an a seperate enclosure that will be hidden or what?

I'll have pics once the glue is finished drying and i have trimmed the caps to fit. For a finish i plan on using faux fur in the styling of my fuzzy hi-vi mains. (Not the same oscar the grouch color tho ... Or maybe...)
Old 13th March 2006, 11:48 PM   #2
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes you could put it in another enclosure no problems.
Old 13th March 2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Cover it in real veneer and it'll look like a stump

Interested in hearing your results as I am considering doing something else with mine.
Old 14th March 2006, 12:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
Cover it in real veneer and it'll look like a stump

Interested in hearing your results as I am considering doing something else with mine.
I don't know if you are familiar with the ren and stimpy show...

"its looog its looog, its better than bad; Its GOOD!"

I was halfway joking about covering them in fur. The reason i covered the hi-vi b3n (or is it S?) speakers in fur was I was getting sick of sanding to get a good finish and didn't think it was worth it on such expensive speakers to be pouring so much work into enclosures what might soon be replaced...

But the subwoofer is different...I think a sub should blend into a room. Not be hidden away in a corner, but not an obstrusive cube (or for that matter a ******* water heater!) in the middle of the room...
Old 14th March 2006, 04:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Fake fur, eh? I suppose it would match SOME living rooms.

I've been thinking of doing practically the same project. What setup are you thinking? Using unibox, and my space constraints, I was thinking of 45 liters, meaning a little over 2 feet of 12" sonotube. 3" (7.62cm) flared port, at 19.5" (49.5cm) long for 23hz tuning. Walls covered with stuffing, but not packed. It makes for a bit of a hump at 24hz, but that should be slightly balanced by the hump the amp gives a bit above that.

I'm concerned about the power handling below 20hz though, it passes max excursion at 19hz at 150W... Plus, port speed is a little high, but a larger port means a longer port... Not sure what to do about that.

Anyway, I'm curious what your plan is. I'm fairly new at this, so any insight the better.

As to the amp... I was thinking of either larger sonotube, so the amp could fit in one of the plugs, or a large bottom box for the sonotube to sit on. No perfect solution, really...

peace,
sam
Old 14th March 2006, 12:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phidauex
Fake fur, eh? I suppose it would match SOME living rooms.

I've been thinking of doing practically the same project. What setup are you thinking? Using unibox, and my space constraints, I was thinking of 45 liters, meaning a little over 2 feet of 12" sonotube. 3" (7.62cm) flared port, at 19.5" (49.5cm) long for 23hz tuning. Walls covered with stuffing, but not packed. It makes for a bit of a hump at 24hz, but that should be slightly balanced by the hump the amp gives a bit above that.

I'm concerned about the power handling below 20hz though, it passes max excursion at 19hz at 150W... Plus, port speed is a little high, but a larger port means a longer port... Not sure what to do about that.

Anyway, I'm curious what your plan is. I'm fairly new at this, so any insight the better.

As to the amp... I was thinking of either larger sonotube, so the amp could fit in one of the plugs, or a large bottom box for the sonotube to sit on. No perfect solution, really...

peace,
sam

You seem to know more about this than i do ;-) I did plan a small hump around 25hz to accompany the +5db from the amp...

I was going to use a 2" port but winisd says that it will have a mach of .22....Am i going to be able to hear this or should i add another 2" port? a single 3" is out of the question unless i top mount it and make it curved...
Old 14th March 2006, 07:22 PM   #7
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can't exceed mach 0.1 or you will have problems.

Adding a second 2" port will not be shorter than a single 3" port.
Old 14th March 2006, 10:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simon5
You can't exceed mach 0.1 or you will have problems.

Adding a second 2" port will not be shorter than a single 3" port.

Yeah, i decided to go 3" out the top as the bottom doesn't have enough room for a 3 inch port and i don't feel like cutting 2 holes ;-)

That and i don't want anyone to have the temptation to sit on the sub and kill it...Although i can stand on it and it seems strucurally fine...but i am a mere 140 lbs...
Old 16th March 2006, 09:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default UPDATE!

Status update:

The enclosures are almost finished. All i have to do is trim the excess away from one of the caps and add the port(s).

I have decided on the faux fur for finishing and it will either be a deep red or a black.

The MCM Amplifier is on its way and i'm hoping it will be here monday if not saturday...

I did a quick test with the woofer just sitting in the enclosure with no ports and to my ears it is amazing...i can't wait until i have it properly ported and all that good stuff...

Pics VERY VERY soon!
Old 16th March 2006, 10:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What enclosure volume and port length did you decide on?

Are you stuffing the enclosure, or just covering the walls for resonances?

And I'd recommend this fake fur, it looks great with everything!

Click the image to open in full size.

Actually, just about anything from http://www.mendels.com would be a good choice.

peace,
sam

Hide this!Advertise here!