Large Seas Al drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone built a sub with a Seas L22RN or an L26RFX/P ??

I'm thinking of, someday, replacing my two vintage RFT 35W speakers (which i'm using as subs) with a sealed (i think) sub with one of these drivers, with some active crossover and maybe with a Linkwitz Transform.

I haven't seen many subs around the net with large aluminium drivers. Are they to be avoided, or are other types of drivers so much better?

Would'nt it be a good idea to mount these two 8' drivers on opposite faces of the box to nullify their reactions ? This would allow to have a very stable position of the enclosure even when it is not firmly clamped to ground.

~~~~ Forr

§§§

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Just a quick note:

I used 4 x 8" Seas L22-RNX4P's with a Linkwitz Transform down to 20hz F3.

Good but slightly dissapointing overall, I expected more I guess. My main problem was that the drivers were very easy to bottom out on home cinema material. The THX intro for Starwars Episode II just sounded like a huge farting noise rather than the super fast and deep transient that was displayed with a couple of my previous efforts or commercial designs like the Paradigm Servo 15.

Plenty of bass for regular music but if you like your home cinema loudish then I'd definitely look elsewhere. The Linkwitz Transform just pushes these little drivers over the top.

BTW: There's a thread all about the speakers with the 4 x Seas L22 in the 'Loudspeaker' forum. I should be able to dig it up without too much trouble. I'm now working on 2 x 15" subs to satisfy my needs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.