Large Seas Al drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Default Large Seas Al drivers

Has anyone built a sub with a Seas L22RN or an L26RFX/P ??

I'm thinking of, someday, replacing my two vintage RFT 35W speakers (which i'm using as subs) with a sealed (i think) sub with one of these drivers, with some active crossover and maybe with a Linkwitz Transform.

I haven't seen many subs around the net with large aluminium drivers. Are they to be avoided, or are other types of drivers so much better?
Old 11th March 2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Anyone???
Old 11th March 2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I think Al-drivers should be near-perfect for subs. I have four L22RN4X's which I intended to convert into subs this spring. Unfortunately it is freezing outside so I'm not building anything right now I intended to use two per side in 60 ltr. enclosures tuned to ~30Hz. These will be used with active crossovers

/U.
Old 11th March 2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Android is offline Android  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Android
I want to build a sub with L26RFX/P, but now I´m waiting for this driver, which should be delivered to me in 2 months. It´ll be a ported enclosure. I think that Linkwitz Transform equalization is not possible with this driver (due the driver excursion). There is a link for some Seas Alu-Driver sub: http://www.cain-cain.com/bailey/
Old 11th March 2006, 01:59 PM   #5
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Would'nt it be a good idea to mount these two 8' drivers on opposite faces of the box to nullify their reactions ? This would allow to have a very stable position of the enclosure even when it is not firmly clamped to ground.

~~~~ Forr

§§§
Old 12th March 2006, 10:40 AM   #6
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

The only aluminium driver in the Seas range that I would ever consider making a subwoofer with is the SW300, a true subwoofer driver in the lotus range.

For better aluminium subwoofer drivers, have a look at Acoustic Elegance.
Old 13th March 2006, 10:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just a quick note:

I used 4 x 8" Seas L22-RNX4P's with a Linkwitz Transform down to 20hz F3.

Good but slightly dissapointing overall, I expected more I guess. My main problem was that the drivers were very easy to bottom out on home cinema material. The THX intro for Starwars Episode II just sounded like a huge farting noise rather than the super fast and deep transient that was displayed with a couple of my previous efforts or commercial designs like the Paradigm Servo 15.

Plenty of bass for regular music but if you like your home cinema loudish then I'd definitely look elsewhere. The Linkwitz Transform just pushes these little drivers over the top.

BTW: There's a thread all about the speakers with the 4 x Seas L22 in the 'Loudspeaker' forum. I should be able to dig it up without too much trouble. I'm now working on 2 x 15" subs to satisfy my needs.

Hide this!Advertise here!