Cheap sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a cheap sub for stereo use. I was hoping to source all the parts from Parts Express.

My application is with a Yamaha RX rated around 70 watts/channel with existing Klipsch bookshelves. I merely want to augment the bass. I want an 8ohm setup so I can run it from the second set of speaker connections. The system is set up in a large room, and its for background music. But the bass from the Klipsch does not do it for me, and I figured building a simple dual voice coil non powered sub could be a cheap option.

They have the DC300-8 12" classic woofer, but its not dual voice coil, so I was not sure if that was a good option for a sub to use as a stereo. I also want to source the cabinet from their limited collection and am not sure which driver is a good match for their 2.0 cu ft. cabinet.

I admit to being lazy and and looking for for the easy solution.

Any ideas?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Michael,

One of the things about a passive sub is that you need a crossover. The caps and coils are quite expensive and might even be more than the driver. If it's in the budget you might want to consider a plate amp. It has the crossover built in and it allows you to use a single VC driver. It also allows you to change the level of the woofer to suit your tastes. It's not that much more than what you were looking for and I think you will be much happier in the long run.

Parts Express sells a 25watt plate amp for $40 (15watts RMS @ 8ohms).

That could work for this application. At most I need 85 Db of output from a sealed sub, I bet that would do the trick. It would also give me speaker terminals, a crossover and avoid the need for a DVC as well?

The other option is a 70 watt (45 @ ohms RMS) plate amp for $50 (Dayton SA70).

Methinks you are warming to the idea. Good, I really think you will be happy. I would go for the 70 watt. I have two of them and am quite satisfied.

At that price it's almost cheaper than caps coils and terminals.

Yes a single VC is all you need, the amp will bridge the channels for you.

Plate amps can be used with sealed or ported. A plate amp makes a passive woofer into an active one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.