replacement subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am new here. Hope you guys cand help. I own a pair of vintage Infinity RSII speakers. They each have 2 10" woofers, 3 5" midranges and 2 ribbon tweetes. They sound realy good, but- I am always looking for better. I am considering replacing the lower set of woofer with some upto date ones.
Each lower woofer is housed in a sealed 1.34 cu ft enclosure and is x overed at 60 hz. I have played with the WinISD program a bit and have found a few drivers that seem to fit the bill ok. The Dayton RS265Hf-4, JL Audio 10w6 , the Stryke Sal-sb10, and the soundsplinter RL-m10.
The Stryke has a 3db roll off at around 32 hz and the others are around 38-40 Hz. The Stryke would seem to be the right choice but I gather it is no longer available. Which, if any of the others would be a good choice and are there any other drivers I might consider?
I want to stick with a sealed box because I don't want to butcher my speaker without knowing what I am doing. Eventualy I might drive these with a plate amp with eq to deepen the fq response, but for now I will be driving the speakers with a 250wpc yamaha amp. Thanks for any help or input you can give.
:cool:

On the SL 10

Thanks for your replys Simon5- here and at Audio Elegance also. I liked the specs (and price) of the SL 10 but I don't really want to mess with changing the crossover so I am now leaning towards the RSS265 hf or ho. The HF seems to have a better response in a sealed box- but I could go with the HO and add a passive radiator now or in the future. Any Thoughts any one.

It looks like the HO would have a 3db roll off at 58hz in a 1.3 cu ft box, while the HF doesn't roll off untill 42hz. With a port, I could get the HO down to 28hz but I don't want to cut up my speakers- at least not yet. I think I can still use a port or more likely a passive radiator with the HF at a later date if I choose to, and get a similar result. I am new to the diy subwoofer bussiness so there may be other considerations I am not looking. Your input is welcome. Thanks.

You're right about the -3 dB point, but you can see that the curve is more slowly going down with the HO version. At 20 Hz, they are playing at the same level. The HO can also play 3 dB louder because the powerhandling is two times higher.

The HF on the other hand might be better with lower distortion according to the name. Since you're using 1.3 cu.ft, which isn't that small for a 10 inches driver, going with the HF is a nice idea.

You could also consider the HO version of the 12" driver, only 10$ more and it simulates almost exactly like the HF 10" driver.

Good luck!

I looked at the 12" HO and almost bought it, but the outer ring is slightly over 12" and my box is exactly 12", so it would have hung over the edge. Any how, I have placed an order for the 10" HF and hope to have it by friday- so I guess I know what I will be doing saturday! If I like it, I will order a second one for the other speaker. If for some reason I don't like it, I will probably build a dedicated sub and use it there.
As far as the loudness factor, my amp is only 250W per chanel so I wouldn't be able to drive either speaker to it's full potential. The HF sounded like it might have lower distortion, as you said, so that is the one I went with.
Can't wait to play! I will let you know how it goes.

Infinity re-do

One thing to watch out for iwhen you do this is re-inforcing the RSII box... I did what you're doing ~8 years ago with Ultimate attitude 10" dual vc woofers @ 4 ohms.... they made a tremendous improvement (both top and bottom woofers in each box) BUT.... I had to extensively re-inforce the boxes and seal the air leaks...

Also.. the xover caps are crap-o in the infinities so I replaced them with polypros... and the bigger iron core inductors also got tossed when they saturated at elevated levels... essentially i re-built the xover...

Good luck... they're now my HT mains upstairs.. replaced with these:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=642400&stamp=1116116806

good luck

auplater

Thanks for your input everyone. I installed the Dayton HF a week or so ago and I realy like the sound. Much cleaner but not as loud as the original.....so.... I removed the 150 watt amp from my Infinity Entra sub and hooked it up to the Dayton. And also replaced the upper woofer with the 10" driver from my sub. The upper driver is Much cleaner and more detailed now- though, I don't think it plays as deep, with the sub amp hooked up to the Dayton that isn't a problem.

Now I am afraid I have cought the DIY bug! Now I need to upgrade the other speaker. I can get some Infinity Interlude 10" drivers for $80 apiece. I believe they are the same or very similiar to the Entra, and I think they will do nicely- but if anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to hear from them.

Also, I was on the Rythmikaudio web sight, reading about the Linkwitz transform circuit. It sounds like a great thing if it really works. Supposed to alow you to extend your response down to 20HZ. I am considering buying one of thier 350W amps and installing a Linkwitz transform circuit and using it to drive my dayton. Any one know about Rythmic and/or the Linkwitz transforer?

Thanks auplater for your thoughts on the crossovers. I had heard that about the Infinity xovers. Sounds like a another project to keep me out of trouble. I think you are right about the cabnets also. I like the picture of your new speakers, they look increadible. Are they DIY or store bought?
Ray

>Thanks auplater for your thoughts on the crossovers. I like the >picture of your new speakers, they look increadible. Are they DIY or >store bought?
>Ray

DIY, I had wanted to build a line array hybrid and picked up the BG 6 footers for 1/2 price from a guy online into single ended triode amps so they weren't efficeint enough to drive with the measly 3 watter he'd built

So they were my DIY project last January... matched up with a 6 ft^3 sonotube PE Titanic 12" subwoofer that goes down to ~18 Hz or so....

auplater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.