60"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think they are talking about within an enclosed space. Much easier than in free air.

Why would 180 db be impossible?

Surely enough displacement and power should be able to do it.

Lets say we want to do it with some stacks of horns.
1w >>> 105db
10w > 115db
100w > 125
1000w > 135

Double the drivers and amps > 141db
4x 147
8x 153
16x 159
32x 165
64x 171
128x 177

Ok of course this is crazy. But is there any reason why this could not be done with excessive power and a huge stack? I have no allowed for power compression, but with the larger stack they will handle more power and have more directivity.

I'm a little suspicious of this single subwoofer being able to equal the output of 128 massive bass horns, it does sound like a bit of a stretch don't you think?!

I'm a little suspicious of this single subwoofer being able to equal the output of 128 massive bass horns, it does sound like a bit of a stretch don't you think?!
It does,

But consider that dB-drag is done with bursts that are much higher as the rms-powerrating, also in this short time powercompression isn't much of an issue.

With a stack of horns sensititvity raises with 3 dB/ doubling only within a 1/4 wavelength. A stack of 128 would be to big to achieve this.

You might find some of the replies of interests: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/11681/0

Wkr Johan

Old news... Giant piece of crap.

They have never gotten it to put out any thing even near impressive. 162db has been hit by pro street or what ever class, no re-enforcement of the windows or body allowed, only sound deadening... He is the second loudest in the world.

It is a big joke. The cone has never been strong enough to do 180db.

Talking of SUBwoofers. Mitsubishi once built an 80" woofer used for earthquake simulations.
This was a quarter of a century ago . I once had a picture in a magazine (Funkschau) but can't find it anymore. It had a power rating of 3.5 kW - which is 10 to 20 times of what the largest P.A. woofers could offer back then. Its magnet was a huge field-coil.

Regards

Charles

You want loud?

BassAwdyO said:
180db is easy for say... a space shuttle

Inside the exhaust port of an ordinary car engine is about 180dB.
I read where someone measured the sound level of a top fuel dragster at 1 metre at 163.5dB. You owe it to yourself to hear and see one of these things go - from a safe distance of course. Puts a whole new meaning to the word =loud=.

Attachments

• doug_herbert.jpg
    doug_herbert.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 165
oh I'll believe those dragsters are loud!!! I've seen a few races... but havent seen the ones exactly like you show in your picture... 180db in the pipe sure, but its nowhere near the infrasonic bass frequency which a space shuttle can produce. You cant measure sound pressure 1 meter from the rocket nozzel because the mic would vaporize

They should angle the exhaust(flames) back more on those cars... providing downforce and thrust

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.