Anyone used a Volt RV3143 or R3853?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vikash said:

Unibox models PR's well.

Also check this out if you haven't seen it: http://www.vikash.info/audio/xls10/design.asp

Thanks for the link Vikash and I love your projects. Do you have a link to a picture of the finished product with the drivers installed and the paint job finished?

How do you think a double XLS 10" vs. your XLS+PR would work out?

Edit: Oh, and I don't suppose you have a measured or simulated SPL graph for your design do you?

The cabinet is in the spray shop at the moment ;) So finished pictures should be up in the near future, as will some measurements. I'm planning on changing the amp module as well (or building one most likely).

You can use 2 XLS10's if you're planing on EQing them. The PR is essentially a port for all intents and purposes, and mainly used because the required port for a single XLS10 is too long to fit in the optimal sized enclosure.

I toyed with 2 PR's and this is probably the way I'd go if I were to do it again. And build a stereo set if you want to use two drivers.

There's lots of threads around with XLS 10 and 12 design and discussions. And let me know if you do end up wanting to purchase some ;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ScottG said:

No, not misleading (..or at least not inteded to be).

The concept is this:

Load your low distortion driver in a box where the in-box resonace is either an octave above or below the desired passband. In this instance I'm assuming a passband from 40 Hz down to at least 12-15 Hz.

This means 1 of 2 things.. either:

1. Have an extremely low driver fs (think 5 Hz) AND presumably a VERY large box where the in box resonance is about 5 Hz, OR

2. Use a box and driver combination where the driver's resonance in-box is around 70-80 Hz or higher.

Now for #2 you can have a sealed design or something else.. and I'm suggesting a bass reflex that isn't aligned.

Bag End produces several sub designs where the box is sealed and then eq'ed below that resonance to compensate for the SUBSTANTIAL reduction in output. Typically at anything but low sound pressure levels (averaged) will lead to high distortion levels because of excursion and VC heating - NOT because of the driver's resonance (..nominally, though I think they have problems with this as well). Alternativly of course you could use numerous drivers in this configuration to overcome the spl vs. distortion problem.

Alternativly you could use something like a bass reflex design that is not aligned to reduce excursion levels (though eq. will still be needed, it will be modest by comparison). Say a tuning freq. of 5 Hz with a first-order lowpass for eq. at 5 Hz. (..this up to 40 Hz nets 18db of attenuation for the passband which is MUCH less than what is required for a sealed design.)

Additionally, better performance (with either the sealed design or the non-sealed design) can be obtained by cutting (via the crossover) the freq. response well before it reaches the in-box resonance. Say a low distorion filter like the LR 4th order at 45 Hz low pass.

The Wilson XS almost achieves most of these parameters for a non-sealed design (though the tuning freq. I believe is considerably higher at around 14 Hz). I've seen no other design thats really like this. Considering issues with regard to space vs. box size - I don't think you can do much better. (..the diy'ed "almighty subwoofer" is similar but the port tuning freq. is to high)

Oh, BTW - I do think the Genlec is excellent for its passband - FAR better than anything else I've seen. You might also remember that I mentioned it to you in one of the Perceive threads as being excellent..

:)

But Scott, we live in the real world with real sized living rooms.

What you propose is proposterous for all but the most grand and dedicated rooms. Your talking about 400ltr enclosures with vents around 1-2m in length to get your 5hz or 10hz tuning frequency and box resonance. That's just not even option for 95% of the folks on here.

I say again that sealed is the sensible option and offers much more than an equivalently sized ported box. Group delay and phase on a whole are generally better on sealed designs. Excursion and distortion below port tuning isn't an issue (which is why you propose 10hz or 5hz tuning). Room modes are more evenly excited with sealed designs in an all things being equal case. EQ is a viable and less dangerous operation with sealed. CSD plots are genereally better on sealed.

The only time ported looks attractive to me is when you tune it so low that it becomes massive and negates the whole issue of sealed vs. ported. Thus landing the ball squarely back in the sealed proponents court. Vented has its place but for infrasonic bass at low THD with overall good measured performance and sensible size then sealed is clearly the winner.

Your addressing the technical issues without considering common sense and heaven forbid if you placed technical highlights over actual listening tests. We all know theoretically near perfect subs are massive, hell if you want the very best then a 20 x 18" dipole array sounds like the ticket to me but its hardly sensible or appropriate to the original poster in this thread.

Sorry to sound like an old woman but I just can't see the sense in what your saying either from an academic, practical or subjective point of view.

ShinOBIWAN said:

:)

What you propose is proposterous for all but the most grand and dedicated rooms. Your talking about 400ltr enclosures with vents around 1-2m in length to get your 5hz or 10hz tuning frequency and box resonance. That's just not even option for 95% of the folks on here.

I say again that sealed is the sensible option and offers much more than an equivalently sized ported box. Group delay and phase on a whole are generally better on sealed designs. Excursion and distortion below port tuning isn't an issue (which is why you propose 10hz or 5hz tuning). Room modes are more evenly excited with sealed designs in an all things being equal case. EQ is a viable and less dangerous operation with sealed. CSD plots are genereally better on sealed.

The only time ported looks attractive to me is when you tune it so low that it becomes massive and negates the whole issue of sealed vs. ported. Thus landing the ball squarely back in the sealed proponents court. Vented has its place but for infrasonic bass at low THD with overall good measured performance and sensible size then sealed is clearly the winner.

Your addressing the technical issues without considering common sense and heaven forbid if you placed technical highlights over actual listening tests. We all know theoretically near perfect subs are massive, hell if you want the very best then a 20 x 18" dipole array sounds like the ticket to me but its hardly sensible or appropriate to the original poster in this thread.

Sorry to sound like an old woman but I just can't see the sense in what your saying either from an academic, practical or subjective point of view.

:D

True, but the genlec isn't exactly practical either is it?

In any event, that was an absolute performance spec..

Well for the practical then (or semi-practical depending on your idea of size constraints):

We could go the way of Wilson Audio and increase the port freq.. Additionally, to reduce volume we can use an compound woofer approach (push-push) to halve VAS.

I was looking around for a driver that "caught my eye" and the Beyma 15G40 is not to bad. We could tune the port freq. to around 12 Hz with a box volume around half of 10 cubic feet - 5 cubic feet then, with a vent aproximatly 3 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. Sure, it would make a nice side table - but it wouldn't be unrealistically large. I'd bet that distortion would be lower at average listening levels to 15 Hz then the Genlec (from say 27 Hz and moderatly comperable to 40 Hz). Though I don't consider it a priority, max spl's should be capable of 105 db at 10 Hz (and thats not averaged).

I'd take the basics of this design over any normal sealed configuration I can think of (..including infinite baffle via attic space).

about 2 pages back it was asked to the Volt baskets get warm, we have had them hot enough so you cannot touch the spokes, hell the metal handles on the cabinet were nice and warm as was the grille mesh 1" infront of the driver. No failiures though and you can run them this hard regularly.

ShinOBIWAN said:

I say again that sealed is the sensible option and offers much more than an equivalently sized ported box. Group delay and phase on a whole are generally better on sealed designs. Excursion and distortion below port tuning isn't an issue (which is why you propose 10hz or 5hz tuning). Room modes are more evenly excited with sealed designs in an all things being equal case.

You dont sound like an old woman, you sound like an old man:)

You British guys are military about your woofers:D, i undestand what you are saying and it does make sense in the real world.

My house is like a shed compared to a well built enclosure, its all wooden slats with fiber fill, its junk really, you guys in the UK have stone and brick homes which gives you a big advantage in terms of sound quality.

I have joined 4 forums this week, 3 cars ones and this audio one and you guys love to argue so much, do you have a thing for each other? or am i just getting the wrong end of the stick;)

I never thought i would hear or read people getting hot over loudspeakers, amazing really.

Puggie said:
about 2 pages back it was asked to the Volt baskets get warm, we have had them hot enough so you cannot touch the spokes, hell the metal handles on the cabinet were nice and warm as was the grille mesh 1" infront of the driver. No failiures though and you can run them this hard regularly.

I wanted to know if the basket really transfered thermal energy from the coil to the basket, it seems it works from what your telling me.

Iron-Wizard said:
I wanted to know if the basket really transfered thermal energy from the coil to the basket, it seems it works from what your telling me. [/B]

Yes it definitely does, I would say though this is only really an advantage for playing at high levels for long periods, for transient signals where there is little time for the heat from the VC to be transfered befor the signal power drops again then the radial basket has little point other than looking damn cool. if you have a consistently large ammount of power going into the coil then I think it is a very effective method of assisting cooling of the voice coil.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Iron Wizard:

Is that a shot of you in your avatar?

If so, I certainly won't be arguing with you. It reminds me of Mr. T from the A-Team :)

Also do you actually live in Compton? It tends to get a bad rap in all those gangsta movies *sick* Or is that a generalisation that's portrayed to make it all look cool and hip to the younger generation. Scared the help out of me actually but I doubt its that bad in the real world?

That dog in the avatar is Jifunza, i am much better looking but I am just as black and bald:D

I live just off Rosecrans Compton is not a bad place honestly, I work in Gardena for A&M autos, if you ever need a tune up and service you come and see me, ask for BC =Big Chris.

If you mind your own business nobody will bother you, i think most places are like that these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.