HT bass horn with vented rear chamber

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering a home theatre bass horn with a vented rear chamber. This would be a front loaded horn where the two drivers are push-pull mounted and in place of a sealed rear chamber they would have a vented enclosure. The driver is AE speakers AV12 (2nd run version) and it models well in the lab horn and has twice the excursion which makes it a good candidate.

This is in effect a vented subwoofer which is horn loaded from the 35 - 80 Hz range. I hear that a bass horn is much tighter in that range than a direct radiator sub and I feel my drivers don't handle the upper part that well, but vented they have plenty of SPL.

Yes it would be huge, but I could come up with a design that could work out. I could put it behind a HT screen firing into the corner and take up the kind of size of two stacked lab horns.

I have ultracurve to make it all flat in room. A rumble filter would of course be used.

I'd like to hear from some of the horn guys on this idea. Is it a good idea? Any problems?

I have heard the idea of such bass horns discussed in passing, although I think the idea has usually been for PA horns, in which a vented rear chamber is fairly common. If I understand correctly, this would further reduce cone excursion above tuning where there is vent contribution.

Seeing as changing the rear chamber volume can change the response of the horn, I'd imagine that venting it would also have an effect on the response in addition to the output of the vent it's self.

You'd want to be able to change the rear chamber volume and tuning frequency to find what results in the best response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.