Thoughts on this speaker for an HT sub? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kaleefornia
Default Thoughts on this speaker for an HT sub?

Parts Express has this on sale this weekend. We have a 6.5" 100w sub that came with our Phillips system. Really boomy and I'm going for a bit more clarity and presence. It's only 8" but, paired with this plate amp, how do y'all feel it'd do?

BTW, our listening room is somewhat smallish (12'x 15') and has tile foors and a sliding glass door, lots of bouncy bounce.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2006, 09:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
tomtt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Blog Entries: 15
would have to be an improvement

might try that myself
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2006, 10:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
leadbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default Re: Thoughts on this speaker for an HT sub?

Quote:
Originally posted by Emprov
Parts Express has this on sale this weekend. We have a 6.5" 100w sub that came with our Phillips system. Really boomy and I'm going for a bit more clarity and presence. It's only 8" but, paired with this plate amp, how do y'all feel it'd do?
Terrified of that Search button? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/searc...der=descending

I built a project with that same driver and almost same plate amp (100W):
Please comment on my W8-740C design
__________________
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. Enzo Ferrari
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 01:00 AM   #4
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Québec, Québec
It would improve the bass for sure. This is a nice little 8".

I would not use that plate amplifier because of the nasty bass boost.

I would use that instead :
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo...t.htm#250basic

It's 110$ instead of 100$.
__________________
DIYaudio for President !
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 01:07 AM   #5
Ben M. is offline Ben M.  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Personally I'd go for this:

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/assassin12specs.html

Larger driver, Lower Fs and higher xmax... all around better driver for a heck of a low price.

Might have to bump up the amp though to get the most out of it.

Just my $.02
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 02:44 AM   #6
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kaleefornia
Default Re: Re: Thoughts on this speaker for an HT sub?

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly


Terrified of that Search button? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/searc...der=descending

I built a project with that same driver and almost same plate amp (100W):
Please comment on my W8-740C design
Acutally I am quite afraid of the search button. It's a phobia stemming from my youth..dropped on the head or something.

Thanks for the link, your project looks pretty cool. Why did you go with a downfiring design?
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 02:45 AM   #7
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kaleefornia
Quote:
Originally posted by simon5
It would improve the bass for sure. This is a nice little 8".

I would not use that plate amplifier because of the nasty bass boost.

I would use that instead :
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo...t.htm#250basic

It's 110$ instead of 100$.
Thanks for the input. That's a 250w amp though, wouldn't that be bad for a 150w driver?
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 02:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
leadbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on this speaker for an HT sub?

Quote:
Originally posted by Emprov
Thanks for the link, your project looks pretty cool. Why did you go with a downfiring design?
Thanks. I like downfiring just out of personal preference; no grille to deal with, no childrens' fingers, etc.
__________________
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. Enzo Ferrari
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 03:04 AM   #9
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kaleefornia
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on this speaker for an HT sub?

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly


Thanks. I like downfiring just out of personal preference; no grille to deal with, no childrens' fingers, etc.
Ahhh, gotcha. I have two little ones myself, probably a good thing to consider. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 07:12 AM   #10
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Québec, Québec
No problem with that Emprov, you could even use a 1000W amplifier, just lower the gain a bit.
__________________
DIYaudio for President !
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speaker idea based on Zaph ZD5, thoughts please, Zaph? wigginjs Multi-Way 23 3rd April 2009 05:09 AM
Kbd speaker thoughts mashaffer Multi-Way 0 6th September 2007 01:55 AM
Thoughts on My Speaker Design Street Multi-Way 16 25th July 2003 07:29 AM
Your thoughts please Ken L Tubes / Valves 41 31st October 2002 08:44 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2