Convert floor standers to subs with Tang Band 8" subs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Tang Band 8" subs are on sale at PE for $35 each.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-854&dotd=022406

I have 2 floorstanding towers that measure 37.5" H x 10" W x 11" D. I've calculated the internal volume to be about 1.68 cubic ft. They have a 3.5" diameter/ 3" length port in both boxes. They currently house two 8" woofers and a 1" tweeter in each box.

Could I use the Tang Band 8" subs to convert these boxes into effective subwoofers? Would this be a worthwhile project? Has anyone ever converted floorstanders like this into full subs?

Thanks.

Yes you could convert it to a subwoofer. Worthwhile? You choose, you'll have to make another front baffle without the tweeter hole and another back panel to close the port hole I guess.

Because if you want to tune low, the port will have to be on top of the enclosure ;)

That sounds like a little more work than I had in mind. :)

I've been modeling the TB's w/ WINSID.

I had considered getting 4 Tang Bands. Then running them in dual boxes, sealed. I have an amplifer that would allow me to run each sub from it's own channel, but in mono. So I would have 2 boxes w/ 2 TBs each.

But something tells me that this may not give me the output or lows I'm looking for. Those TB's on sale for $35 each are just so tempting. But I don't want to get them for nothing.

Perhaps my money is better spent toward one 12" sub?

Well, those got a mid-low Fs, low Vas, low Qts, and high Xmax with a reasonable special price.

4x 35$ = 140$.
Combined efficiency 87 dB/W/m.
Sd is 220 cm^2.

A 12" will have about 475-510 cm^2 of area.

So if the Xmax is similar, a 12" is better than two of those, but you are going with four.
You would need two 12" or a single 15" to surpass the performance.

If the Xmax is high, then a single 12 could be enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.