new subwoofer done!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Iron, i had a freind paint in an Auto body shop its a blackish paint from a Ford econline from what he says.... lots of primer and sealer and paint.
J K so far the BASH amp seems really good but i dont have enough experiance to tell ya much looks nice sounds good quality seems there. the toggle switchs for phase and the auto on standy switch i dont really care for little small and out of place.
But all and all its a nice piece. imo...

Also if you can find a woman who can pick up a 200lb sub she would probly toss you out also. LOL

Bostonswoop,
Congrats on completing your first project!:cheers:
Glad to hear you are happy with it. Your enclosure looks real nice much better than my first one.
As far as the wife goes not sure what to say. I won the gf over along time ago,except where noted below.
If she is willing to watch even part of "War of the Worlds"(dts) just play the scene when the machine comes out of the ground with and with out the sub. If she doesn't think it adds to to the "realism" you might be up the ol' creek.
The only other movie that comes to mind is "Master and Commander"(dts) this soundtrack has everything, subtlety (wind, water,boards creaking etc.) Cannon fire ,great pans (left to right, front to back).
My gf gets a little ticked since she is into allot of "reality" tv shows so I use it as a opporunity to watch movies she doesn't care to watch.She gets banished to the bedroom tv which is above the HT/living room. If it is how much sound is escaping the HT area into the rest of the house. You may be able to lessen it somewhat.
Here is a link to some inexspensive sound panels for room treatment.
link
I am planning on making some soon waiting on the weather still kinda crappy around here. If it is just the low freq stuff that is ticking the wife off. There are pages out there for diy bass traps I can't seem them right now but just google away and you should find them. Not sure how good they work though.

Nice sub man!

I have a question since I have a VERY similar project I'm working on. I'm doing a 4.2 Ft3 box with a Dayton HiFi 12 and it looks like the same port I ordered (4" x 17" dual flared). My question is what was the port speed when you did your WinISD model? I want to put my port on the front but am a little worried about the port speed topping at about 39 m/s around 18Hz. Just wondering if your was a little high but the dual flared took care or it.

Thanks

Sorry guys i was sick for a bit didnt get a chance to check back in....

Iron-wizard i sanded the MDF my self and then the guy who painted it for me put 3 or 4 layers of primer sanded then 3 layer of sealer and 3 layers of paint so he told me. he was using a paint booth and all that from autobody shop.

Prerunner i orderd the Assassin directly from

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/assassin12specs.html

and the AMP from Parts Express. the guys at ascendant audio are very helpfull cant say enough. I got the box plans from MarkR and i have to give him Props for all the help ! He even did the model and sent me the data after ! Mark is a credit to this forum.

Im total newbie sightseeker so im not postive i bet MarkR could acctually tell ya better then i could. lol

Mark good call on the master and comander thats one i havent tried on it yet!

Re: loose screws!

bostonswoop said:
Chops im glad you said somthing about my kefs i had never checked that screw in the back DOH! And yes loose on both of them i love the Kefs i didnt notice a rattle before but i guess im not turning em up loud enough. lol
May have to put some loctite on those to keep em snug.

? tho how do most people test for air leaks on new subs? Just listen for em feel around or somthing? Just wondering i was all over it whilst it was working but i didnt notice anything but of course if i didnt notice that loose screw in my kefs who knows what i miss.
Simon5 what did you use to seal up yours? just wondering in case i have to do it also.

Learn somthing new everyday :smash:

Cool. I just ran the numbers myself and you had 32.8 m/s max port speed in a 3 Ft3 box. I don't know if you have that area after or before you put anything inside. Mine is getting up around 38 on the model. Have you tried to run a 20Hz tone? I'd like to know if you hear any port noise where the graph shows the peak on yours.

I only put some poly fill in the bottom of mine kinda lined it with it. not sure what amounts to alot of that stuff but it was about an inch or so fluffed in the bottom and stuck down with 3M spray adhesive. under the port.
I am clueless when it comes to port speed and all that....totally new...but willing to learn!

Can you give me some insite on what the m/s times would mean to my application? or how the stuffing may affect it?

I don't know that much either. All I know is people on here say 34 m/s is the limit to which you might start to hear port noise. If you model your sub in WinISD you can pull up the port speed graph. It just says how fast the iar is moving in and out and once it hits a certain limit you can hear it over the bass. That is what I want to avoid. Mine is around 38 m/s and yours is around 33 m/s. Just seeing if you noticed any or not. If not than that is good.

lol, guess i havent noticed yet. That must be a good thing.
Would it be a loud noise or just minor tho not sure what to listen for?
what does the chart for SPL/Ferquency chart response look like with this box and a 300RMS amp you guys know?

And is a higher speed a bad thing? other then the possiblity of noise?

Here is the graph Unibox predects for port air speed in bostonswoop's enclosure.
It crosses the 26 m/s or 8%(red line) at 19.2Hz.
The highest it goes is 30 m/s @ 14.9Hz
Now supposedly you can start to hear chuffing anf port noise around the 26m/s barrier. I have a Atlas 12" in the same size box using the same port(4" full length) as bostonswoop is using. I have never heard any noise whatsoever coming from the sub or port other than the bass that is. No burps, farts or whistles.
Now I punched in a port with two flared ends.However I have been told that the precision ports behave as thogh they are the next size up in dia. So a 4" port performs like a 6". I don't know if that is accurate or just speculation.
Bostoswoop,
I just read up on the BASH amp you are using. If you haven't modified your amp it should have 1db of boost in the 25-30Hz range with a filter @17.7 Hz. I would think you don't have to worry about anything since if I understand this right your amps limiting circuit should be kicking in before you near the 30m/s mark. I could be wrong. If your amp came with a more detailed manual than the one page pdf that PE has on their site. You may be able to confirm this.
You could(if I am right) also swap out two resistors and move the filter up to the 20.7Hz and get a 2db boost from 25-30 if you want.
SightSeeker1,
I would download unibox . It is more accurate than winisd. unibox

Attachments

• vb portairspeed assassin 12.gif
    vb portairspeed assassin 12.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 295
I have unibox also. The port speed for my setup is worse on there. I'll be honest I couldn't find an ideal setup with either one. I got the precision port so hopefully I wont hear it. That thing is huge. I can't see a 12" driver moving that much air. we will see when the speaker comes in. It's on backorder. If you have time try to model my speaker in there and see what you get. I have a 126 l box (empty).

Fs 23.00 Hz
Re 3.30 Ohm
Qms 3.00
Qes 0.52
Vas 84.9 l
Xmax peak 14.00 mm
Le 0.95 mH
Le2 0.00 mH
Re2 0.00 Ohm
Nominal Power 300.0 W

Also I just got my Bash 300 today and all it came with is the PDF.

I said the port will lock up at 34 m/s. It's not a big problem usually because with 12 inches drivers like you are using, you're probably well over 110-115 dB in room when you reach 34 m/s.

At normal power levels, air speed will be below 10 m/s so no audible noise at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.