One amp mulitple subs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lets say for example I had one amp that put out 1000watts @ 8ohms.

Now, I could theoretically hook up any number of subwoofers if the resulting ohm load was safe for the amp correct?

Also theoretically if my end load is 8 ohms with 4 subwoofers they should each get a max of 250watts?

I would highly doubt 1000watts RMS!!!

Actually it is rated at 1100 watts at 4ohms

The amp is the Buttkicker BKA1000
http://www.guitammer.com/buttkicker amplifier_home.html

Model #: BKA1000-4A
1100 Watts @ 4 ohms
2100 Watts @ 2 ohms - will power 2 ButtKicker LFEs wired in parallel, and 4 ButtKicker LFEs used in individual home theater seats.
1050 watts per ButtKicker when two units are wired in parallel
Class D switching technology
Variable high cutoff, 40 to 160 Hz
Low cutoff, 25 Hz switchable
RCa RCA and ¼” inputs with 160mVolt and 1.25 Volt sensitivities eliminates the need for a separate pre-amplifier
Five way binding post output
120v or 240v
Convection cooling, i.e. no fan
12"W x 11"L x 4.375"H,
25 lbs / 11.36 kg

Originally designed for powering bass shakers.

review found here:
http://206.225.87.49/volume_10_3/buttkicker-bka-1000-amplifier-9-2003.html
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It will be interesting to hear how this amp performs as a subwoofer amp. It has way more power than I need (powering 1 Adire shiva 12") for now, but it looks like I could use it to power multiple subs (although I would prefer independant gain control for each sub), or bass shakers in the future.

That name, Buttkicker is really silly, but the spec is not so silly.

How is the power rating aquired? it does not say on the page.

I am sure it has power enough to run a pair of woofers but as for running 4, i can not say.

I hope it has some thermal protection and over load protection?

Collo:
The buddies will tuck away behind the seating position in a desperate attempt to increase the SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor).

I'd say that train has long left the station! Nice work by the way...

The buttkickier name does sound silly...pretty apt name for bass shakers though!

I can't find any info on how the ratings were established or if there is any protection.

I don't really care if it does put out 1000watts at 4ohms. That is way more power than I will ever need. I also doubt I will be powering 4 subs. But you never know. This amp may end up powering bass shakers when I finally construct my theater room. In the mean time it will pull subwoofer duty.

Once my Sono tube shiva kit arrives I will be able to test everything out. I will be doing a DIY article for Secrets when it is all said and done. I'll let you all know when that is published (ETA mid march).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.