What are your opinions on Dayton's IB Subs???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for some IB subs for my car and those were suggested on ECA. Naturally, most car audio guys don't have experience with them so I thought I'd ask here and see what you guys think.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-455

They'd be going between the trunk and the passenger cabin. I have 2 amps, one that'll make ~600w at any ohm load (JL 500/1) and another that'll make ~450w at 8 ohms, ~900w at 4 ohms and 1400w at 2 ohms (earthquake 200dhc), so power wont' be an issue.

My other option is a single IDQ15v.2

if youre walling off your trunk and doing an "IB" that way, its not REALLY an IB, and id tend to think youd have better luck with a pair of dvc15s, due to the smaller vas, than you would with a pair of IBs. a trunk still KINDA acts like a sealed enclosure, it kinda gets on my nerves when people call those IB.

true, it's not a 'true' IB install, but it's as close as you get in the car audio world and thus the name.

Either way though, do you think the dayton's will be enough to satisify my sound quality needs? I don't have any experience with their drivers so I don't know how they stack up against other subs. Right now I have a 10w7 in a sealed enclosure and I know the Dayton is generally considered a step down, but will the SQ benefits of an 'IB' install win out with either of the Dayton subs? (IB or DVC)

thanks!

What kind of car are these going into? (make/model)

If it were me, I'd go with two Dayton 15DVC, each VC wired in parallel, then each driver wired in parallel for a total of 2 ohms mono, and power them with that JL 500/1 of yours. 600 watts is more than enough for two Dayton 15s, especially in a car. And we both know that JL amp is highly under-rated in the power department, so you'll actually be getting more like 750-800 watts.

My friend has the JL 1000/1 and has be measured at almost 1500 watts!

Anyway...

Given the car, you probably have anywhere between 9-15 cu.ft. of trunk space which will give you plenty of room for an amp rack and will make these drivers thump right along.

BTW, very soon I'll be running 2 pairs of these same drivers (already have the drivers sitting in my room) in TWO 12 cu.ft. ported enclosures tuned to 12Hz for my home theater! I'm running one right now in a 4 cu.ft. sealed enclosure with 115 watts per VC and even that's doing a crazy job in my room!

Let us know what you do. ;)

they're going into the back of a 99 Grand Prix (pretty large trunk). I'm not building a complicated amp rack, so that won't take too much room back there.

Woudl more power be better? I have a much more powerful amp on hand too(or a little more powerful, depending on wireing). Luckily I have enough 'stuff' laying around to be flexable, so just let me know what's best. Also, if there are any other subs out there for about the same price definatly link me to them. I want the best I can get for the $$$. 12's or 18's are fine too, I'm not set on anything other than something ABOUT that price

more pwoer dwont make any diference. With an IB, there is very little compression inside the box to prevent overexcursion, about 140 or 150 watts will get full potential out of a DVC in an IB setup. so 400 watts even woudl be PLENTY, there is NO point in giving it mreo power as it wont get ANY louder.

and it should rip your old 10 to pieces in terms of SQ. It shoudl reach lower, sweep more air, and have MUCH less thd. Let me explain

for the sake of this argument THD is caused by excursion. if your 10 is moving 1" p-p, the dayton dvc15 would have to move only 1/2" p-p to get same output, meaning that theres less thd. with a pair of em its only goign to be like a 1/4"!

this is VERY basic descirption of the advantages of more drivers. Bottom line is it should sound alot better that your single sealed 10. And trust me, go for the DVCs, the DVCs will outperform an IB in a car audio type IB install, becuase of the smaller vas.

more pwoer dwont make any diference. With an IB, there is very little compression inside the box to prevent overexcursion, about 140 or 150 watts will get full potential out of a DVC in an IB setup. so 400 watts even woudl be PLENTY, there is NO point in giving it mreo power as it wont get ANY louder.

roger that, I just wanted to make sure because the power IS available. I was worried about the lack of 'coushon' and the extra power, but I don't have experience with an IB install so I just wanted to be clear.

if your 10 is moving 1" p-p,
hehe, right at 3" p-p when it's REALLY cranking, normally 1-2"...and it does it VERY clean. It's really an impressive peice of work.

I'm pretty much sold on those Dayton DVC's unless there's a better sub for the $$$. That'll be for another post...or this one...just fill me in one way or another:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.