isobaric 6.5" subs - newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
isobaric 6.5" subs - newbie

Hello,

I have 2 older jlaudio 6.5" subs (4ohms SVC). They are in good condition and just sitting around taking up space. I also have some 3/4" mdf taking up space.

I have made some sealed car audio enclosures with mdf and fiberglass, but that's about as far as my speaker building experience goes.

what do you guys think about running the 2 6.5"'s in an isobaric configuration? I'm sorry, I don't know the specs on the speakers. I looked on winisd and modeled them based on the JLaudio 6w1. I could be way off, but thought I could start there.

I know nothing about isobaric. How would I wire the speakers (out of phase?)? How powerful of an amp would I need? I was looking at some plate amps at PE. With a sealed enclosure, where should the subs be placed (one in front, and one in back magnet out, etc.)?

I'm looking at this project as nothing more than something to kill time, and learning something new. My expectations are low, but if I can make a decent little sub for music listening I would be happy.

Any insight, input, advice is appreciated. I would like to put these speakers to use rather than trashing them. In the meantime I will continue to search the forum.

Thanks

I see little point in using these subs in an isobaric configuration, they already only need tiny enclosures , you are simply throwing away 6db for no real gain.

If they are W-0's then they will respond nicely in vented, attached specs from BassBox6 Pro;

Attachments

• 6'' jl specs.gif
    6'' jl specs.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 202
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not even sure if these are the w-0's. There are no serial numbers or anything except for jlaudio on the magnet. All I know is I purchased them used in 1994.

Are you suggesting one vented enclosure with two subs, or two vented enclosures with a sub each?

Thanks

johsti said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not even sure if these are the w-0's. There are no serial numbers or anything except for jlaudio on the magnet. All I know is I purchased them used in 1994.

Are you suggesting one vented enclosure with two subs, or two vented enclosures with a sub each?

Thanks

Since the T&S paramters are not the same (even if fs/Qts and Vas.Qts^2 is almost constant) you should use two enclosures or one with 2 compartments.

Regards,
Avi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.