hey, just a n00b here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys, im in need of some help, im really confused about
what kind of subs to run in my 88 caprice.

First off, i had my mind set on Audiobahn woofers. From what i hear they are really good for the money.Im considering gettin' mine from ?-bay.Only problem is there are like a hundred different
models
All of them seem to be powerful but im confused about which are the best. I see a lot of setups using the flame series but some say
that the 3 ohm line are the best

Also the amps they carry don't seem to be powerful enough for the woofers. Can someone with knowledge on this tell me what
is the best audiobahn woofer/amp setup....

If not just give me some basic things to look for in a quality sub
please help yall,im trying to buy something this week

If you are going the ebay route you should check out some of the other brands available... Audiobahn is decent but mainly made to sell based on great marketing rather than sound quality and product reliability. I have used the 1000q's, Alum12q's and the 1206's. I liked the Alum for sound quality and the 06's for SPL. But again there are much better subs out there for the $$$. The 1206's and Alum Qis are roughly $120. In that price range and in that sub size you can get:

1. 2006' 12" Alpine Type R's. better bass response and sound quality and needs less power to hit hard.
ikesound.com
240ish w/ ship

2. Treo TSX's off ebay. Bad *** and noone has them.
250ish w/ ship

3. JL12w3v2's
ikesound 250ish w/ ship

3. RE Audio SE's, great sub
ebay 300ish w/ ship

4.MTX 7500,
ebay $280ish w/ ship

These are def. better choices than Audiobahns stuff in my opinion. They require less power, have better T-S parameters in the car environment, have higher xmaxs, and are built better.

As for amps: for the above subs you can use:

A good amp that puts out around 500-800 watts. no need for one that has to do 2000. Although, Im sure after a while the Audiobahns would have problems handeling 2000 rms like they claim. I used the 1206's with a kicker 800.2 wired at 3ohms and never had a problem with the amp or the subs... But spend your money on other the other options. The new alpines crushed the 1206s and the RE's and Treo's were even louder and went lower. JL is always a favorite, and the MTX's should hang with the others no prob. I have installed the MTX 95/8500's and they kick ***, so I would assume the 7500's are similar.

If you dont mind refurb, ikesound has some nice PPI, Kicker and Orion refurbs for a great price. They also sell them new for a good price too. I am in no way bashing Audiobahn just want you to know there is better out there for the same price. If you are mainly concerned with style and looks and thats why you want Audiobahn then get the 1206s for bass or the Alum12's for SQ.

Goodluck,

Mark

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Features:

15" Subwoofer, with crazy power, and the best sound quality
2,000 WATTS TOTAL OUTPUT
750 watts RMS
Frequency Response: 22 Hz - 500 Hz
Sensitivity: 86 dB
Dual 2 Ohm Voice Coil Version
Mounting Depth: 9 5/8"
Kevlar re-enforced Pulp Fiber Cone Assembly
Santo-prene Rubber surround material stops un-wanted vibration noises and ensure clean sound
Dual Voice Coil Design
Cast Aluminum Frame
This sub is vented and transfers the heat out of the sub so it stays cool at all times
Concealed Mounting Gasket System

thx for the help. Alpine is a name that i trust and can get locally
are these the woofers you speak of?

also would you run two amps, or is there a single amp that
will fully push them both?

Those are the Type R. You can buy a single amp to push them both. There are many choices for class D amps that are rated 1500 w. at 1 ohm. I own and like DEI. They can be found around the internet. www.ikesound.com sells refurbs at rediculous prices. Be careful with clipping at high volumes as I have heard they don't like that. I hear things...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.