box for 12w3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
alright here is the story. I have a couple of jl audio 12w3s laying in my shop. I am thinking about using one of them for a powered sub along with a dayton 240 watt sub amp. I am currently building a set of dayton budget hme theater speakers for my sattelites. (I have a thread about these in loudspeakers).

Now to the meat of my question. How would one of these 12w3s do in a 2.5 cubic foot ported box tuned to 23 hz. I have looked at it on winisd and it looks pretty decent but I am no expert by any stretch.

any suggestions are not only welcome but would be greatly appreciated.

looking at a comparison of this subs response in a 2.5 cube sealed and a 2.5 cube ported tuned to 23 hz on win isd it looks like the ported would go alittle deeper. the -3db for sealed is 34 hz the -3db for ported is about 28 hz the ported does have a small 1 db hump from about 50 to about 60 but seems pretty smooth. Jl calls for a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box and a 1.75 net cubic foot ported box tuned to 30.8 hz please explain to me why the sealed would sound better. I am not extremely familiar with ported boxes but I realy want to learn more. I am also going to use this primarily for home theater (and some music) but I want very good low end. My satelites should be pretty good down to about 85 hz. I also want to keep the enclosure under 3 cubes gross including the plate amp. I realy want strong bottom end and if this wont work I may consider selling my w3s and buying something different like possibly a dayton titanic 10 mk3

jp88 said:
looking at a comparison of this subs response in a 2.5 cube sealed and a 2.5 cube ported tuned to 23 hz on win isd it looks like the ported would go alittle deeper. the -3db for sealed is 34 hz the -3db for ported is about 28 hz the ported does have a small 1 db hump from about 50 to about 60 but seems pretty smooth. Jl calls for a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box and a 1.75 net cubic foot ported box tuned to 30.8 hz please explain to me why the sealed would sound better. I am not extremely familiar with ported boxes but I realy want to learn more. I am also going to use this primarily for home theater (and some music) but I want very good low end. My satelites should be pretty good down to about 85 hz. I also want to keep the enclosure under 3 cubes gross including the plate amp. I realy want strong bottom end and if this wont work I may consider selling my w3s and buying something different like possibly a dayton titanic 10 mk3
I may be wrong, but the fact that there is a 1dB hump at 50/60 Hz, essentially means that on the graph, your -3dB point, is now at -2dB (but you can simulate how the response will be with a crossover).

CFC

I went back and plotted both together and even using the -2 for the sealed a s the -3 point the ported does 31 hz at -2 db and the sealed does 37 hz at -3 db. Am I missing something? Please advise I would like to eithers start building an enclosure or put my 12 w3s on ebay. would I be better off with a 10 inch titanic in its optimum ported box than the 12 w3 in 2.5 cubes? would the w3 sound better in a 2.5 cube sealed box than a 2.5 cube ported box? if so why? please advise....

simon5 said:
Strong bottom end and box under 3 cu.ft gross ?

The high Vas of the 12W3 isn't helping you on this.

I suggest you this :
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-466

And this :
http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv1263...id=40&osCsid=60aa326f1b65917f516fc0b7d005a491

Build a 2 cu.ft internal net box with one of those passive radiators and add 250 grams of mass to the passive radiator.

would this be much better than a dayton titanic 10? I notice dayton specs a 1.4 cubic foot box tuned to about 27 hz. If I am going to purchase another sub I would like to stay as small as possible without losing too much. I don't have a very large living room and don't want to make my neighbors too angry. What I realy want to know is
1. will the w3 do decent in 2.5 cubic feet. ( the consensus seems to be no)
2. would a titanic 10 in a ported box meet my requirements?
3. would a titanic 10 in a ported box be a lorge improvement over a 12w3 in 2.5 cubic feet ported or sealed?

I apreciate the recomendations so far.

Titanic 10 is an old design, some found it to be noisy. If you plan to crossover very low, maybe it's not an issue for you.

The woofer I showed is a 12" with lower Fs so you'll have more deep bass.

I could do the same thing with the Titanic 10, but the price is high compared to this new better and larger woofer.

27 Hz is not deep bass IMO, if it's enough for you then go for it, for sure you can build a really small box with a Titanic 10.

If you want to go with those 12W3, just build a 2.5 cu.ft sealed box, you'll get a nice 0.707 Butterworth alignment.

The box sizes suggested by JL are smaller, probably to better mate with the suspension of the driver. They will work in the box sizes that you have plotted in Winisd. To ask which is best is hard to answer as a lot has to do with your listening habits. I would recommend building the sealed box with the JL sub you have and see if that meets your requirements. A sealed box is a fairly easy project and I am going to guess it will be enough bass for your living room.
If you're going to build a more musical or lower extending sub I would suggest going to a 12" or 15" sub and not using a 10". The box sizes will not be that much more for the larger drivers and the benefit in sound will be a good trade off for the additional space used.

ok I have some more questions. I downloade winisd pro today and plotted some boxes with the 12 w3. when I go much over about 3 cubic foot ported with 240 watts rms I start running into excursion problems (excusions higher than xmax) does this mean 3 cubes is optimum? if so I may be able to do that. what do you think about the w3 in 3 cubes ported tuned to about 23 hz. how will this perform?

simon5 said:
It will be not bad hehe!

You can build a larger box if you tune higher.

I hope I am not coming off as an a hole. I am just trying to learn. What would be the weaknesses of this sub in the 2.5-3 cube box tuned to 23 hz? (ie would it sound muddy or tight, woud it be seriously lacking low end or would it be boomy etc etc)

check this out. I called jl today just out of curiosity. I asked them about this. They told me when they ran the numbers through their program that their program says 2.5 cubic feet tuned to 32 hz. He also told me that there is a problem with using some programs to design enclosures for their speakers because they don't give out inductance values. Interestingly enough winisd has 0.00 listed for inductance(le) on the 12 w3-d2. anybody got any comments info on this?

Can you call back JLAudio to tell them if they list the Le on their webpages we could use it in WinISD Pro, or Unibox, or else...

"They don't use inductance, that's why it doesn't work"
"You don't tell us what it is..."

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=12

BTW, 32 Hz is a nice tuning for a car, or for techno music, but you'll miss deep bass. It will still be better than anything sold under 250-300$ I guess.

It would be interesting to know why they don't provide the le parameter. The tech I talked to told me this was a butterworth alignment (.707 qtc) he also told me it was had a very flat response. I called kind of close to thier closing time and I didn't have time to get any fr numbers. he told me that if I e-mailed or called back he would plot it agin for me and give me -3db numbers and such or even send me a graph. They seem to be willing to help me disign an enclosure maybe I can use thier design to reverse engineer the le figure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.