Questions about connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The plate amp for my in progress DIY sub has a (Dayton 300-804 240 watts) described as "A single amp can accept a stereo input signal and combine it into mono, which is optimum for sub bass reproduction. The internal low pass crossover is fully adjustable between 40 and 180 Hz, and of course the amp has built-in protection against internal and external faults."

The receiver I'm using is a Yamaha RX-V2500 with one sub out jack. This plate amp has 2 (right and left) line level jacks as well as high level inputs and outputs.

Questions:

How do I connect this sub to my receiver?
The line out of the receiver to 1 input (left or right) input of the plate amp?
OR
The line out of the receiver to a "Y" splitter to the (left or right) input of the plate amp?
I'm guessing I wouldn't use the high level inputs?

The receiver has a LFE feature but the plate amp has no LFE input. Do I need this?

I hear that a 2nd order high pass filter can extend my bass. Can one be used with this amplifier, if so how?

Thanks!!

Greg

How do I connect this sub to my receiver?
The line out of the receiver to 1 input (left or right) input of the plate amp?
OR
The line out of the receiver to a "Y" splitter to the (left or right) input of the plate amp?
I'm guessing I wouldn't use the high level inputs?
Either way will work, but the Y cable is the best solution. The amp will just be a bit quiet with hooking to just one of the connectors.

The receiver has a LFE feature but the plate amp has no LFE input. Do I need this?
If you can turn off the LFE option on your reciever that would be best, then use the crossover adjustment on the plate amp. The LFE output on the reciever will put in a low pass crossover on the sub output, which is good for plate amps that have LFE input, because then the reciever crosses the sub with the rest of the speakers well, but for plate amps without the LFE option, combining the LPF of the reciever with the LPF on the plate amp is asking for problems.

I hear that a 2nd order high pass filter can extend my bass. Can one be used with this amplifier, if so how?
You are talking about a subsonic (rumble) filter? Yes they can be added in between the reciever and the plate amp input. I'm not sure if they can be bought as an add in component though, so its probably something you would have to build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.