Cheapo Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a simple ported subwoofer enclosure for this sub:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-138

Using this amp:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-784

The Simulated winISD plot for gain looks rather nice at 12 cube box tuned to 25hz. (This is for under my bed.)

WooferGain.jpg

However, the Group Delay looks horid:

WooferGD.jpg

Is this sub going to work fine for low to moderate listening levels? Mainly Hip Hop, Rock, Rap, Techno, and Punk Music?

Are there any subs no more than $20 that will compete with the frequency response, either get louder or as loud, and use the same amp?

That's not a sub, more a midbass/midrange driver (only 3mm x-max)

If you want to go cheap find a car audio sub (go to a local shop) a cheap car audio sub (10'' or 12'') in a folded transmission line (can still fit under your bed) will out perform that parts express "sub" easily.

Myself and others here can help you with the line design.

either way your are going to be quite limited with such a tight budget for the sub.

You might not consider it a sub but that's no reason not to go ahead with it if he is happy with bass to 25 Hz. In a bedroom I'd guess he might even get lower in-room considering it is so small.

An alternative is a bass horn, considering you can have a big box. There are a few wiki articles (see link on signature) on how to simulate a bass horn, and you can quickly get an idea of how well it will work.

You should simulate the filters in WinISD as well. It will affect the design. If you are crossing at 40 Hz, the response will look different, probably with a peak before rolloff.

Once some room gain is added, you might get a bloated sound with too much bottom end. My guess is that you want lower tuning or a smaller box.

Suppose you tuned at 20 Hz. The response will droop down, GD will be lower, but once room gain comes in it's more likely to sound right. The downside is that somewhere between tuning and fs the output will be lmited. Tuning higher gets more SPL, but then you should make the box a bit smaller or you will get a peak.

A response that is somewhere between vented and sealed is likely to be the best balance of SQ and SPL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.