Pics of my subwoofer peerless XLS passiv radiator ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

mezzo ;)

looks good. i was thinking of using that peerless driver in building a sub for my studio monitors. i'd be interested to know how it sounds.

out of interest, what paint did you use? i'm really not that happy with the finish of the paint i've been using and yours looks pretty smart, so if you can share any tips i'd be grateful.

Painting used is prepared exactly like a body of car;)
The box measures 35.5 cm of with dimensions (25 liters useful) and it is made in MDF of 30mm!!!
Inside there is a partition standard brace of reinforcement MATRIX in MDF of 30mm also.
No damping interns, just 6 layers of tar (blakson).
The module of amplification is famous HYPEX HS200.
the HP used are 27 cm peerless XLS10 "and behind 27 cm XLS10" passivates radiator with mass of 400 grams.
The solidity of the box is exemplary!!
No vibration is audible even the ear stuck on one of the walls;) The low ones are clear and precise, fast with much of nuance in the low register pallet.
This box does not make devastations it comes ideally supported any enclosure from the monitor kind or column.
It goes down very low, therefore attention with its placement! For my part it is located at surroundings 30 cm of the wall postpones.
I use it on proac response 2.5;)

mezzo

The surface looks great!

When you say it is prepared exactly like the body of a car, does that mean you use just regular car filler spray and then car spray paint?

I would have thought MDF is so porous you'd at least have to use car spray putty (if not some special wood filler to close the pores), then car filler and then car paint.

Eric

Le MDF a était recouvert de deux couches d'apprêt pour peinture au pistolet.
Cela suffit pour boucher toute les imperfections de surface, mais le médium à déjà une surface très lisse et bien fini d’origine ;)

Ensuite il y a deux couches de peinture noire satinée passée au pistolet à peinture.
Le tout a était réalisé en cabine de peinture hermétique ;)

Mezzo

excuse me I had not translated the text into English :D
MDF A was covered with two surfacers for painting the gun. That is enough to stop all the imperfections of surface, but the medium on already a very smooth surface and finished well origin ;)

Then there are two coats of black paint glossed last with the gun with painting. Whole A was carried out in hermetic cabin of painting ;)

Mezzo

Mezzo,

Very nice work.

I plan on building a subwoofer as my second DIY project. The 1st will be the main speakers, Ellis 1801's. So, I do not have much experience. Could you tell me how you made the grill cover?

Do you recommend building the XLS with the passive radiator? I am planning on building the XLS 12". And I'm not sure which is best for music: sealed or with the passive radiator? Do you have an opinion on this?

Thanks,

Al Garay

Hello Al Garay ;)
Best the solution is to take models XLS10 "because
the 12" uses very the engine and its softer for the same power.
I you consulting XLS10 + two membranes passive radiator XLS10 of 400 grams each one.
In an internal volume of 40 liters.
The HP credit will be below and both liability on the with dimensions backs with back;)

For the characteristics:
25 HZ with 106DB for a power of 200 Watts RMS under 4 ohms.
If you uses an active module of type RCM détonator
DT300 or HYPEX HS200, I you consulting of regulated the bass boost on 3DB between 30 and 40 Hz. Here ;)
If you wants schématics more detailed of the box, I have this;)

MEZZO

mezzo said:
Le MDF a était recouvert de deux couches d'apprêt pour peinture au pistolet.
Cela suffit pour boucher toute les imperfections de surface, mais le médium à déjà une surface très lisse et bien fini d’origine ;)

I suppose the "apprêt" was a product for car painting? Was it regular primer or spray putty (mastique is the French word, I believe)?

Also, what do you mean by "médium"? Sorry, it's neither clear to me from the French nor the English version.

Merci,

Eric

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
excuse me I had not translated the text into English :D ...........

Thats funny because as I was reading this I was thinking, I bet he typed this than put it through a translator, because of the the way the senteces were structured. If your reading our posts the same way, I bet we sound just as horrible to you ;)

Anyways back to the thread at hand. I just had a great idea. Poeple are always wanting that super shiny black glossy paint and when he said painted like a car it reminded me of this place locally that does alot of body kit stuff for cars and the guy usually charges $100 to paint a bumper, wing, whatever...Now the paint is usually so-so for car applications (road debris, wind, weather elements), however in a home theater enviornment, it would last plenty fine. Especially a glossy black with a clear coat. And you could do almost any color feasible (if you wanted!).

Heck even Maaco could probably do this right! :eek:

Oh ya you would probably want to fill and smooth the enclosure surface yourself first before taking it somewhere, because as someone previously mentioned wood is porous.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.