FOUR Dayton 15DVCs and 700 watts....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok everyone, I have finally made up my mind for this subwoofer project that I've been thinking about for the last couple of months. I have so far thought about using PRs, but I ditched that idea. I also pondered the idea of going with a slot ported design, which I have also ditched.

So here's my latest, and most likely final design. *plain, simple, sweet*

I am going to run a total of four Dayton 15DVC subs. There will be two 8 cu.ft. sealed enclosures with two 15s sharing the same air space. I'm going to wire them so that each pair will be 2 ohms. I will then get a QSC RMX1450 amp to power them. This amp will give each pair of subs a total of 700 watts @ 2 ohms.

According to WinISD Pro, one enclosure will provide 104dB @ 15Hz with just over 500 watts of power, and that does NOT include room gain. Peak cone excursion (both ways) will be around 17mm which is well below the capabilities of these drivers. Group delay will reach a max of 7ms, also at 15Hz.

If anyone has any "guesstimates" on what the output might be with both enclosures running in a 13' x 17' x 8' room, feel free to share. :D

Anyway, here's a few screen shots from WinISD Pro. I just used the 15" Titanic Mk III as a reference (yellow). Please let me know what you all think also. ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

all i can say is......

BY THE BEARD OF ZUSE!

but yeah, thats some SERIOUS output...oh and by the way winisd comes with the excursion grap set to one way by default, but youcan change it to p2p. this drivers are VERY VERYmuch like a tempest, comparing the uhhhhh...whats that machine called? to measure excursion a d or a u or SOMEHTING...ahh well, the measurments paper for that is even MORE frighteningly close to a tempest. and if i remember correctly, the tempests xmech is somewhere around 50mm p-p, you wont damage them....that said i wouldnt keep them at xmech on a daily basis, but if they go over linear limits for a transient, i wouldnt worry.

oh and in the future, can you post a trnasfer function graph too? or at least a full spl graph

xstephanx said:
all i can say is......

BY THE BEARD OF ZUSE!

but yeah, thats some SERIOUS output...oh and by the way winisd comes with the excursion grap set to one way by default, but youcan change it to p2p. this drivers are VERY VERYmuch like a tempest, comparing the uhhhhh...whats that machine called? to measure excursion a d or a u or SOMEHTING...ahh well, the measurments paper for that is even MORE frighteningly close to a tempest. and if i remember correctly, the tempests xmech is somewhere around 50mm p-p, you wont damage them....that said i wouldnt keep them at xmech on a daily basis, but if they go over linear limits for a transient, i wouldnt worry.

oh and in the future, can you post a trnasfer function graph too? or at least a full spl graph

Hey, thanks for the excursion graph tip. I changed it in WidISD.

BTW, I just got done watching "Finding Nemo" and that Darla scene where she taps on the fish tank... WOW! I have to say, with only 115 watts going to this sub, it shook the entire room just as much if not more than the SVS sub I had, and that had dual 12s and 600 watts! I seriously can not imagine what 4 of these 15s are going to sound like in here with some power behind them. :eek:

Also.... Ask and you shall receive. :D

thanks for the graphs, just what i needed to brighten up my grade 10 computer engineering class.

oh yeah, that machine thing is called DUMAX, but yeah i remember hearing alot of buzz on car audio forums of how similar the sheets on the dvc and the tempest were....errily close. in fact i consider the dvc 15 as completely interchangeable with the old tempests. i would assume that the xmech would also be the same, in which case your excursion graphs show NO real excursion problems IMO, i mean its not like youre going to be pumping out 20hz sine waves at full power capacity....just for fun...well not more than a couple of times :D.

xstephanx said:
thanks for the graphs, just what i needed to brighten up my grade 10 computer engineering class.

i would assume that the xmech would also be the same, in which case your excursion graphs show NO real excursion problems IMO, i mean its not like youre going to be pumping out 20hz sine waves at full power capacity....just for fun...well not more than a couple of times :D.

You're welcome. Not a problem at all. ;)

And I too think that I'll be fine with the excursion limits. Like you said, it's not like I'm going to be running them full blast all the time.

Besides, with the combined effeciency of all 4 drivers (all 8 VCs) plus room gain, I'll probably be looking at something like 100+ dB @ 1 watt or something like that. So in other words, I won't even have to dump a lot of power into them anyway to get some high levels. As it is, I'm rattling everything in my house with only 30-50 watts peak so far! :bigeyes:

Say, that's a good question for you guys... Is there any way to guess how effecient these subs will be in my room? (13 x 17 x 8)You know, just for sh**s and giggles. :D

I'd recommend a single 15 DVC in the 8 ft3 box but ported instead of sealed. You can even use a huge 6" dia port (to reduce port compression and lower air velocities) and the length is still reasonable. This would give you slightly more output at 20 Hz, but at a lower cost.

Better yet might be two 15 DVC's in 12 ft3 (if you've got room), also ported and tuned to around 15-20 Hz. More output and likely lower distortion at a given SPL.

I don't wish to start another ported vs. sealed debate, just my $0.02.

-Robert

in that case....why not dipoles?! ahahaha just joking, but seriously, run some sims with REALLY low port tunings, like 11 or 12 hz kinda low, and look at the group delay for 20hz and above. I dont think theres aman alive that would notice even MASSIVE amounts of gd below 20hz, since all of that information is just rumbles and compressions anyway.

by doing that you can also reduce your excursion by a large amount (sometimes, if you tune to low youll actually increase excursion.

but yeah jsut something to poke prod and tinker with for hours on end in winISD.

ahhh my cinnamon bun is here, being sick aint that bad, exept that your ear is so plugged that it screws enough soudnstaging enough that the drums are behind you!

xstephanx said:
in that case....why not dipoles?! ahahaha just joking, but seriously, run some sims with REALLY low port tunings, like 11 or 12 hz kinda low, and look at the group delay for 20hz and above. I dont think theres aman alive that would notice even MASSIVE amounts of gd below 20hz, since all of that information is just rumbles and compressions anyway.

by doing that you can also reduce your excursion by a large amount (sometimes, if you tune to low youll actually increase excursion.

but yeah jsut something to poke prod and tinker with for hours on end in winISD.

ahhh my cinnamon bun is here, being sick aint that bad, exept that your ear is so plugged that it screws enough soudnstaging enough that the drums are behind you!

So you're only reason for me tuning that low is to lower the overall excursion?

Granted, it DOES drastically lower it, but I really don't think it will be worth the extra work and airspace needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.