small cube sub with 4 or 6 woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to make like a cube of woofers. I was thinking like 4 or 6 cheap 6-8inchers on the sides of a cube.

I have found a bunch of different woofers I could use, but is it even worth it if one woofer's frequency response is 55hz to whatever?

I think like 6 small woofers would be cool. I am thinking like ~$10 for each woofer. Cheaper is better though.

Any suggestions, moderate music listening, rarely movies. Small room(dorm).

Its going to mate with two of Cyburg's needles with TB W3 in them.

Also the smallest box possible really.

And the woofers will all need to be firing at the same time i suppose to avoid cancelation, so will this be a problem as far as reduceing ouput? I am up for sealed or ported design...

Also would liek it to be able to run with this amp or similar:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-782

I know its small but I think it would be cool little amp and cube of subs....

First off, try and avoid putting woofers on different sides of the box. Cool or not, it's not going to help it sound good. The cancellations can reduce the amount of bass your ears hear.

Second, that amp won't cut it even for small woofers. You will want to consider at least the next step up, I think it's the 70 W unit.

You are far better off to buy one good woofer and not 6 cheap ones, again cool or not.

EDIT: How about two woofers and four drone cones aka passive radiators. Actually on second thought that's a dumb idea.

I'll have to let others give you the technical side as all of my dealings are trial and error and I remember there being a lot of error in the trial. ;)

If you do decide to go with six woofers, is there no way you'd be happy with them all on the same side of a non-cubic box?

EDIT: It's not the point source that's so much of a problem as the waves cancelling each other.

Cal is right, right, and right.

Bass will do the circle thing without help. One nice woofer would be better than 5 pieces of poopy. With some exceptions the best sound comes from the least number of drivers.

By the time you get the internal volume (cubic feet) for 6 drivers it won't be a little cube anymore anyway.

:D

If you can find the right 4 / 6 woofers to model well in the desired box size and cross them at a sensible frequency then I can't see a problem. In fact the push - push loading on opposite sides of the box can be of benefit.

You'd need to cross at ~80Hz if you only want 1 'cube' imo .

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• descent.gif
    descent.gif
    58.3 KB · Views: 472
Cal Weldon said:
First off, try and avoid putting woofers on different sides of the box. Cool or not, it's not going to help it sound good. The cancellations can reduce the amount of bass your ears hear.

Second, that amp won't cut it even for small woofers. You will want to consider at least the next step up, I think it's the 70 W unit.

You are far better off to buy one good woofer and not 6 cheap ones, again cool or not.

EDIT: How about two woofers and four drone cones aka passive radiators. Actually on second thought that's a dumb idea.

How will woofers on different sides of an enclosure lead to cancellation of sub-bass frequencies?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:

As long as the woofers are only working at low frequencies, it doesn't make any difference which side they are one. I always like to use bass drivers in push-push pairs. Finding a cheap 6-8" driver that goes as low as say a pair of 10" would be a REAL challenge. Buying fewer of a higher quality of larger drivers is -- generally -- going to give better results. 2 10s or 2 8s would be mu suggestion. A pair of ApexJR 8s is $80. A pair of extremis 6,8s (which i sort into the same bin as typical 10s) would be $200 (we are working on subs for Scot & Chris with this last configuration)

dave

thats the same budget. lol.

4 smaller subs around 10 a piece, or 2 10s around 20 a piece, or 1 ten for 40.

I modeled the 4 7s above in a simple sealed enclosure and they dropped quick. like -3 db point somewhere above 35hz.

Kinda a buzzkill.

I really shoudl hold off anyways, i have some tangbands awaiting some enclosures and a sub for a car that needs to be built. I still want to explore the idea, but the budget may be to tight.

Suggestions still wanted, heck if I can do it for this cheap I will!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.