New Ascendant Audio Assassin (budget) subwoofer line is out !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Ascendant Audio new Assassin line of budget subwoofers is ready and shipping is starting.

The intro price is very interesting :
75$ for the 8"
85$ for the 10"
95$ for the 12"

All of them are 4 ohms. They got 15.5 mm of Xmax and 350W RMS power handling. The Assassin 12 is a great drop-in replacement for an Atlas 12 (or an Adire Audio Shiva 12" Mark IV) because the specs are similar.

More information available here :
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/products.htm

I'm waiting to see what their high-end subwoofers will look like...
Even IB users will like these guys with the nice IB subwoofer coming...

I'm helping a friend build a box for one of these. He's looking for a ported box that sounds good for movies with a box size of around 18" cubed. Do you guys have any good box plans or suggestions.

Note: I would just use WinISD myself but I'm not that good with it and don't know enough about what I'm doing.

He wants to use the 12. I saw the recommended box size for tuned is 3 cubes to 20 hz. I've made a few subs myself, but I just usually use the manufacturer plans(adire audio). Right now he has a yamaha yst-sw015 which is a 6.5" driver in a small ported box, so anything would be a step up from that. I noticed one of you said that it might be able to be dropped into a shiva box. Does anybody have the pdf's still? Thanks.

It could be 18" internal, 19.5" external to bring the internal volume up to 3.375 cubic feet, minus the bracing, ports and sub itself. The recommended tuning is to 20hz, but it could be slightly higher. I would like to use standard pvc pipe in either 2" or 3" diameters if possible. Thanks.

Note: I would like to keep the port noise to a minimum but also something feasible.

Just wondering what tuning the Precision port would be if I didn't cut it. Also, would I have to glue it together if I don't cut it? I've never used Precision ports before, so I'm not entirely sure how they work. Would you recommend having the driver downfiring with a front firing port, both down or both frontfiring? Thanks.

Yeah you glue the parts with ABS glue.

Uncut? Depends on the enclosure volume, for 3.5 cu.ft like I said 18x18x21 it will be tuned to 22 Hz.

About downfiring or not, you choose, it's a personal thing hehe. If you crossover low, it doesn't matter if they are not firing on the same side.

I bring this thread back up to say that the Pre-Sale for the Arsenal series of subwoofers is started.

It's less interesting IMHO because they are more expensive and about on par with Acoustic Elegance drivers which are several years old and about to be renewed.

It's still good drivers for a fair price anyway I think.
Especially for people with 2 ohms stable amplifiers or 8 ohms stable receivers because they are dual 4 ohms.

20mm Xmax, very reasonable Vas and 750W RMS power handling.

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Arsenal page.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.