16bit software with 24bit soundcard for measureing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2006, 09:41 AM   #1
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question 16bit software with 24bit soundcard for measureing

Hi All,I have an SPLX 12" car subwoofer that I bought cheap and stuck it in a box 14"x14"x12" IB,and use it in my car.I know my box volume is wrong and had to compromise boot/trunk space(pushchair shopping etc).I want to use this driver indoors as a sub,I bought it because it looks like its got a resonable xmax because its surround is bigger than most drivers.It also has twin magnets and handles 600W.I have no T/S for it and posted recently for how to measure Vas,and got a reply about adding mass to the cone and taking note of its new FS.
I have a collection of software that covers most audio tools,ie scope,frequency generater and counter.These programs are written for 16 bit 44100 soundcards.I have a 24 bit 96000 soundcard and was wandering would this be accurate enough to get some good measurements?
Do you recomend any particular software as my collection,including Winlsd is about 3 years old.
Many thanks.mikee55
Old 12th January 2006, 04:54 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

nearly all soundcards support a 16bit 44.1kHz default.

plenty accurate enough for measuring subwoofers.

/sreten.
Old 12th January 2006, 04:55 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

nearly all soundcards support a 16bit 44.1kHz default.

plenty accurate enough for measuring subwoofers,
in fact plently accurate enough for measuring most
things except noise floors.

/sreten.
Old 12th January 2006, 09:57 PM   #4
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks mate

I just wandered if it was as good as (probably not) the real equipment.Spl are a pain in the Ase for not giving any T/S with this driver.I bought it from Motabitz,they had no info either.I've looked at Rod Elliotts site and checked out his How to measure speakers article.The box I've got it in is bigger than a cubic foot,would this be ok as a test box?My main concern is measuring Vas.He suggests putting the driver in a plastic bag and filling it with water,no thanks.So I've got to try adding mass and this gives me a new resonance,then I got to find a formula or calculator to work it out.

Many thanks for repling.mikee55

Hide this!Advertise here!