dual sub one box design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am still very new to the diy audio scene now for my money am i better off doing 2 subs in one enclosure ? if so what is the " best" design for this ... or am i better off just buying one really good sub and going that route?now my max investment in this will be around $300 now that isnt alot ... but im hoping that maybe i could just upgrade my first box with maybe a bigger amp later .. when i can afford it

Two subwoofers are not worth it with your budget. Consider you may only get an extra 3db from an extra subwoofer. For more SPL I simply suggest a ported box with a powerful driver, lots of xmax, and large cone.

However your budget DESTROYS a lot of options. Not that I am going to say haha your poor! Oh I just did, but guess what I am as well; in fact I have been conjuring up the idea of a sub one hundred dollar subwoofer for a dorm.

A rather unfortunate circumstance…. I believe I already know what type of bass you desire.

My suggestion which pushes the budget a little extra….

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-794&DID=7

http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv1263...id=53&osCsid=9c39e1749dd43c82d50a4bb112b440cd

That with $20-40 worth of wood plus $10-30 of supplies would give you a handsome beast for a nice budget.

Just so you know that subwoofer is the original version of an Eclipse that is sold for car stereo. The difference is the price is not out of this world, it is cheaper than an Adire Tempest. The price is much like an Adire Tempest once was, and this subwoofer probably cost a bit more in material. Eclipse subwoofers have screwed up magnets among other things and do not sound nearly as musical as Stryker’s stuff (different name now). With any luck they will bring back the original version of the titanium 15 inch…

That is simply a suggestion, if you want cheaper solutions I will come up with more just for you!

Konnichiwa,

v1d9uy said:
i am still very new to the diy audio scene now for my money am i better off doing 2 subs in one enclosure ?

I would first note that two smaller subs are generally better than one big one (due to room interactions) and four even smaller subs are even better, if you can place them.

With your budget my recommendation would be:

2 X ApexJr "SuperSub":

http://apexjr.com/SuperSub.htm

@ $ US 70

2 X ApexJr Subwoofer Amp

http://apexjr.com/ApexJunior.htm

@ $ US 180

With your budget that leaves $ US 50 for MDF and cutting + Finishing, tight but doable. I personally would use a simple 12" Cube made from 1" MDF and run the Sub sealed.

A lot of people here will tell you that this is never enough and all, but I suggest you try it, the results may surprise you. The ApexJr Amp was reviewed quite favourably in Audio Express, I have used both units and think that two of these small subs, placed near corners are more than anough to really upset the neighbours.

In order to get a reasonably flat response towards low frequencies I suggest using speaker level inputs (that is best for any kind of subwoofer anyway) and to change C524 on the Amplifier PCB from 0.1uF to 2.2uF, which gives basically a first order bass boost down to around 15Hz and thus makes the output from the Sub around 20Hz - 120Hz+/-3db.

Maximum SPL at very low frequencies is rather limited, but room gain will help out a good deal. The results are not at all bad....

Ciao T

well my problem is i currently have a klipsch ksw-10 with i like but its playing very week all of a sudden ... now its a very goood chance its the sub output on my reciever ... and it may not ....
so i might have to get a diff reciever first .... even if i keep the klipsch i still wanna build a new sub my other problem is .. i have a few projects going now... im looking for a decent older midrange receiver ... but i just cant seem to find one for a decent price ... that and with all the reviews iv been reading peaple have had sooo many diff problems with all diff brands of recievers ... i almost dont feel safe buying used reciever .. cuz if it stops working most of the time its not worth fixing.... id rather save and buy new and have a warranty. that or buy at costco .. i used to work there ...
and have a almost life time return policy : )

Well good deals on them do show up.... I am not saying the Outlaw is the only option, it is insanely advertised, or has been, but for a decent reason. What I am saying is a lot of people have bought, are buying, and selling them because of popularity, increasing the odds of a second hand buy. The other thing is that people in the audiophile realm tend to be a little more likely to have them, and they treat them better, because of where the advertising and hype has been associated with, the audiophile realm.

You can also some times find nice receivers that where last years model, this time of year possibly even. I am not sure where to look for sure, but I bought one for much cheaper by doing that, even though it was selling for hundreds more at places that needed to sell off stock.

I VERY SLOWLY get the parts and pieces I need for what ever I do usually... I however always feel better about getting what I really wanted to begin with. I will admit it can be a little aggravating that it takes for freaking ever!

so youre saying if i could find a driver for my box size .. that it should out pace my factory driver assuming i didnt go buy some pos for $20 ... any drivers in mind ? i dont have the box specs right here .... but ill go look them up .. ill need help finding the right driver for the box since ... im not up on all that kinda stuff ... THANKS ! for the help so far.

Uh I would not put a driver into that box unless I knew it would work in that same sized box, samed sized port, and with the amplifier.

Do consider the current amplifier may be for 4 ohm or 8 ohm, you have to know this stuff.... Not al amplifiers are versatile and can blow out from an improper load... Hell the poor feedback from a blow sub could ruin an amplifier (in this case possible with what appears to be broken down equipment).

In the event you did find that pefect fit driver, yes you could probably out pace a Klipsch with a lot of things.

I HOWEVER would at least build a new more well suited box, a strong box. Even if you can re-use the amp, a custom to fit box would be wise.

I personally would just buy a new amp and subwoofer, they really are not that bad to buy. If you want some configurations cheaper then the one I gave to begin with I am open to that. Also that Apex one suggestion is not bad, it is just not what I would do personally, but you can if you want.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.