TangBand 8" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2006, 09:16 PM   #1
LaserL is offline LaserL  Norway
diyAudio Member

Question TangBand 8"

Hi
Do any of you have any experience with the W8-740C woofer
from TangBand.
I’m weary interested in this Speaker and it would be nice if you
gave me your experience with this speaker.

If you have a link to a DIY project with this speaker please post.
Old 26th February 2006, 05:01 PM   #2
boly is offline boly  Norway
diyAudio Member

Go to video, scroll down to tangband, and lock at the sub u want.

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/
Old 26th February 2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I am using the 740C with two 8" drones and am happy. It's a good woofer for the money especially now that it's on sale at PE. I bought mine over a year ago and the price has gone up since then so it's nice to see it on sale for those who want to try it.
Old 26th February 2006, 05:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I saw that on sale at PE this weekend. It has a foam surround. Nuff said. The useful lifetime of foam is better matched to beer than speaker drivers.

If people would stop buying that garbage, they'd stop manufacturing it. Hello!
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 26th February 2006, 09:50 PM   #5
boly is offline boly  Norway
diyAudio Member

They sell Tangband here in Norway: http://creativehifi.com/catalog/
Old 26th February 2006, 10:13 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim
The useful lifetime of foam is better matched to beer than speaker drivers.
While I like the humour, I've never had a foam give out on me while I was still using the speaker. I've noticed you get 15 years or more from foam, let alone a treated foam so I've not made that a consideration. I've heard there are those that consider the foam to be better sonically than the synthetic rubbers but I'll leave that to the experts, I don't have an opinion.

Quote:
[i]If people would stop buying that garbage, they'd stop manufacturing it. Hello! [/B]
Hello!, that garbage is just right for some people, you know, like those on a limited budget or those whose ears aren't golden, that don't really have a use for anything more?

Actually, it's not a bad little woofer if you put 20 watts or less into it, you know, the volume most people listen?

Oh yee, so fast to judge. It may not be a woofer worth writing home about but it's fine for a lot of people. Beats the heck out of what was available 20 years ago for the same price.
Old 26th February 2006, 11:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

mine tb woofer is on its way...

I plugged the numbers into winisd and i get a box (3/4" mdf) ext dimensions of 9" by 14" by 22" (approx) with an 11" long 3" dia port...

Is it me or does that port seem a little short to be tuned to 30ish hertz?

Also, should i try and tune the sub lower than 30hz since i will be using the mcm 150 watt plate amp (back in stock, 500 some left...) with 6db bass boost at 30 hz?

If anyone has a proven design that will work well for this sub please by all means post it...
Old 27th February 2006, 02:35 AM   #8
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

rcavictim, just find us cheap rubber that will do 1 inch peak to peak...

Then, for real subwoofer drivers, find us rubber that can do ~4 to 5 inches peak to peak...
Old 27th February 2006, 05:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simon5
rcavictim, just find us cheap rubber that will do 1 inch peak to peak...

Then, for real subwoofer drivers, find us rubber that can do ~4 to 5 inches peak to peak...

Source surround materials? I don't have to. I'm not in the driver manufacturing business. As a consumer I have purchased drivers which had foam surrounds brand new and within my life so far they have completely rotted to uselesness. I don't like to have to spend my money to buy something more than once. I do not consider loudspeaker drivers as consumable items like tubes. I have 50 year old Altec drivers that are practically as good as the day they were made.

Now if you are punishing a driver to 4 and five inches cone excursion, that probably IS a consumable item. I think I'd be looking at improving my acoustic cone loading if I had to go to those extremes. I can't imagine the fidelity could be very good.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 27th February 2006, 06:24 AM   #10
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

50 yrs old and still good? Nice! But I'm 100% sure that the T/S parameters are shifted alot vs. original.

Rubber got problems too, mostly with increasing stiffness over time.

BTW foam surrounds can be replaced for a very small fee. You also get the new foam which last longer. Using a foam surround also help you to reach higher efficiency numbers.

Anything with moving parts doesn't last a lifetime. Also, any speaker manufactured more than ~15 years ago are outdated. Today with new technology you can find/build something better for cheaper.

Hide this!Advertise here!