Wishing Boxes were smaller.... what to do? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2006, 05:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wishing Boxes were smaller.... what to do?

Ok, so heres the deal... I was originally running 2 12" subs, each in there own 1 cuft sealed box, running of a Parts Express 1000W plate amp, wired at 8 ohms to give the subs about 250 watts each. They sounded pretty decent but didnt hit very low. Nice tight and musical though. I ended up with two more of the same subs, and wanted to use them since I was only using half my amps power anyways. So I built new boxes for them. Two subs in each box. With each box being built with double layer 3/4" MDF, so inch and a half of MDF, and one open enclosure inside each box for the two subs. Each box is about 3.5 cuft, so each sub is about 1.75 cuft. The amp is now wired at 4 ohms, so the subs are still getting about 250 watts a peice. Now the bass definatly hits alot lower, and sounds real good on rap and dance music. But when I listen to metallica or something now, it sounds very sloppy or muddy as compared to the small enclosures. So my question is, can I do something to make the internal volume of these boxes less? Like screw some more wood inside or what do you think would be a good idea? Any comments or suggestions appreciated guys!

Thanks
Old 6th January 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A few bricks inside may do the job.
Old 6th January 2006, 08:02 PM   #3
hooha is offline hooha  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hornlover
A few bricks inside may do the job.

My thoughts exactly. Use the solid ones though, not the ones with the holes in them. You can then challenge your friends to see if they can lift them, and calling them wimps when they can't.

Mark
Old 7th January 2006, 05:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hooha

My thoughts exactly. Use the solid ones though, not the ones with the holes in them. You can then challenge your friends to see if they can lift them, and calling them wimps when they can't.

Mark

They are hard enough to lift without bricks in them!!

Will the bricks move around inside?
Old 7th January 2006, 06:37 PM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The bricks will stay put as long as you don't move the sub around yourself. If you are worried about slight movement or rattles just put a blob of Blu Tak at each brick corner for it to sit on.
Old 9th January 2006, 05:48 AM   #6
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Did you brace the enclosures correctly? Are you sure you didn't get a very small air leak somewhere?

It's still a sealed subwoofer, it shouldn't be sloppy or muddy at all.

You could also correct your "problem" easily... Just put the 4 woofers in the same 3.5 cu.ft box.
Old 9th January 2006, 07:27 AM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

He probably likes the punchy sound you get when Fc isn't very low and Qts is high. You're right it won't actually be muddy, but the extra depth gained by a larger box can make the sound less punchy and confused in the lower registers. A lot of this is due to poor integration IMO.

Hide this!Advertise here!