extreme output bass. i need expert help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2006, 01:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default extreme output bass. i need expert help

My search for the ultimate in subwoofers has led me to three company's

Peerless
Eminence
Dayton Loudspeaker.

I have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours trying to find the perfect way to outsmart companies like electrovoice, jbl and so on.

I run a car audio store, i've done ALOT of installs, modeled and build ALOT of boxes, with ALOT of different subs and amps.

I am trying to tap into the pro sound market in my area. and i want the help of the experts here at diy audio.

Heres a list of my litle collection of subs.

(2) Lab 12's
(1) peerless XXLSP
(1) peerless XXLSS ( i ordered a PR to play with for theese too)
(1) dayton DVC 12
(1) dayton DVC 15
(1) dayton Titanic 10 AND 12
(2) dayton series II 15's
(1) dayton quatro 12
(1) dayton quatro 15
(1) dayton reference 12HO
(1) dayton reference 12HF

I have had alot of success, i've build a box for every one of theese subs (except the DVC15) and tested them.

i have full wholesale pricing on dayton peerless eminence and every other name you can think of.

I dont care what sub we use, how many, or how much they are, i dont even care if i have them yet, My proposal is lets make a BULLETPROOF design, tunning strictly for music, that will eat the **** out of anything out there on the pro sound market.

IM ALL EARS.

Linkletter
Old 5th January 2006, 01:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I like the cut of your gib, young Sir!

What you have to determine is exactly what you would describe as being able to fit the bill - horses for courses. Are we talking compact? are we talking extention? are we taliking a price-point or a compromise between all of the above?

I think ultimately, even in a cost-no-object cruisade, you're gonna hit a brick wall somewhere along the way. No cabinet resonances? - Go Dipole; problem is going to be the amount of Watts/Drivers employed. How big can you go? what is the highest frequency likely to be employed? - if we're talking sub 30Hz area we're not likely to be worried about the sonic vitues of a 2000W amp; if your going all the way up to 100Hz, perhapse we could do a multistage unit? different amps/drivers?

Cheers - Jezz
Old 5th January 2006, 01:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

haha. alright

size, is a factor, but not a crucial factor.

price point - CRUCIAL, the most important factor. because all i'll have goin for me with no name is a good price and a good product.

Extension - well, most dj's use 45hz high pass for doing dances. so thats not reall a factor. im talking strictly a music sub, that can GOB out the bass into that dance floor.

basically folks, its gotta be a miracle product. when i say miracle product. it has to do WAY more then expected, for MUCH less money then it has to right to.

Some things that i've been considering

1. extension to 35-40 is plenty.
2. i've thought about bandpass, but have ZERO experience with those kind of boxes.

BUT most of all. it has to be alot better then whats out there, and at alot better price.

just a thought, multiple 10's? might do the trick.

Linkletter.
Old 5th January 2006, 02:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Given my limited exposure to the dance scene (ahem), I wouldn't think your task is unachievable. Work to a price - not a silly price; but perhapse the most you'd expect to pay for about the best in the bizz; I'm assuming you're not thinking of taking on the world - just yet incidentally - what price-point were you aiming for?

Then consider how you want to format the product; you can get a lot more "added value" out of an active design (from your perspective) than you can a passive - you've also some degree of assurance that the unit will be employed correctly.

What sort of SPL's do you want to hit?

-Jezz
Old 5th January 2006, 02:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I will assume that the subs need to be suitable to 100 hz

this seems to be the prefered point of most dj's

tell me more about your dipole idea, im not even sure what a dipole sub is.

open back perhaps? what advatages do we get there,

multistage i think would be overkill. unless someone with more experience then me believes that the sound of a multistage unit will have a great impression on dj's that never use this type of equipment and are used to playing 100HZ with an 18 inch pro sound driver.
Old 5th January 2006, 02:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Forget my first posting; we're not talking audio nirvana here! costs would be incredible & the rest of the DJ's line up wouldn't approach the same level - you don't use a Bentley as a tow-truck!
Old 5th January 2006, 02:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Given my limited exposure to the dance scene (ahem), I wouldn't think your task is unachievable. Work to a price - not a silly price; but perhapse the most you'd expect to pay for about the best in the bizz; I'm assuming you're not thinking of taking on the world - just yet incidentally - what price-point were you aiming for?
Fair enough.

My goal for spl. LOUD AS POSSIBLE, no holds barred.

now spl is so controverstial with bass. because the environment determines it.

Good rule of thumb, it has to hit harder then everything thats not horn loaded, if not harder, VERY CLOSE TO.

im looking at below 400 dollars cost pushing 500 if the extra money is worth it.
Old 5th January 2006, 02:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Forget my first posting; we're not talking audio nirvana here! costs would be incredible & the rest of the DJ's line up wouldn't approach the same level - you don't use a Bentley as a tow-truck!
haha, at least we're on the same level now.

Does anyone think it possible to make a product at local level that would be more appealing then the pro sound stuff out there.

Heres a few reasons i think i can do it

1. I have no overhead
2. I have real generous wholesale pricing.
3. I can build it considerably cheaper then what they're charging at retail stores.
Old 5th January 2006, 02:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
This thread is difficult to understand...

What are we trying to do here exactly. Sounds like a "mega-value" system is the goal.

I'd go with a few 18" drivers in horn loaded enclosures. Go as large with the enclosures as is required for the lowest frequency you need to play(without significant attenuation)

*Edit* Posts seemed to have appeared as I was typing mine...
I guess horn enclosures are out? I guess 18" speakers are out?
Old 5th January 2006, 02:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Active or Passive?

Hide this!Advertise here!