car bass in the house ! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2005, 10:02 PM   #1
v1d9uy is offline v1d9uy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default car bass in the house !

ok so i was really really into car audio ... till all my **** got stolen....so now im going home audio but i still love the bass. i dont know how many of you have had a really nice car audio system so maybe only a few of you will understand but i have heard some very expensive hometheater subs .. and they just dont compare to the system that i had in my car i had 2 x 12 inch dual alpine type R subs they had something like 2500 rms on them i had them ran with a MTX 1ooo D mono block amp i had 0 gauge welding wire as power wire had the amp running at 1 ohm they hit hard and low and sounded great they hit 152 db in my corvette and 147 db in my full size bronco now they arent the loudest subs out there my friend had the same amp but he was useing some square kicker solo barics 12 incher 2 of them and he was always louder and hit harder .. but they sounded really really bad ots like there was off ... and then 155 db ... and thats. it just sounded bad ... he later got 2 alpines lol but anyways anyone of you that have heard nice car audio subs ... and hometheater subs know that its like a diff type off bass ... to me it just sounds really diff. is there anyway to get car audio " like " bass in my home.
i could feel those kicker solo barics in my cheast they hurt they hit so hard now im not asking for that ... but something close
Old 31st December 2005, 10:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yeah and I power my Tangband 871's with 8000 watts!

Are you just playing a joke or?
Old 31st December 2005, 10:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

ok i have no idea what those subs are ... im no hometheater god
i was kinda drunk but i am not playing a joke ... i have never ever heard subs in a house that hit as hard and/or sounded as good as the subs in some of my systems in my car and other car audio systems i have heard .. granted i did only have about 3k into my subs/ box and amp/wireing and another 3k in componants/deck/ and componant amp so i had 6k in all and im sure that "8000" watt amp yer useing was very $$$$$ not saying thats bad ... and im not saying iv listened to the best hometheater systems out there im just saying i havent heard anything that compares before .... and was kinda wondering if anyone else had.
Old 31st December 2005, 10:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just be glad you don't live next to him

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,64829,00.html
Old 31st December 2005, 10:45 PM   #5
ruerose is offline ruerose  Canada
diyAudio Member

The biggest problem is that your average living room is a MUCH larger volume than your car/truck cab, and is FAAAAAR less sealed (think doorways). Therefore, pressurizing a living room to SPL competition volume levels requires PA sized sub bins and a hell of a lot more wattage than your average 2x12 car audio system.

If you want that loud, look at PA and DJ subs and drivers. An probably PA/concert amplification.

May god have mercy on your neigbors.
Old 31st December 2005, 11:44 PM   #6
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm a car audio installer and I'm currently building my own dedicated HT room.

To give you some idea of what you need if you want the kind of bass in the home that you're getting in the car you multiply every thing by at least 10x, 10x the power, 10x the cone area, 10x the box volume. That's not counting the massive structural modifications the room will need accomodate that

20x 12'' type R's

25000W of power

~30cuft enclosure volume

Old 1st January 2006, 12:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

yer a car audio installer ? in aus ? lol well im a installer in the US 20 x type Rs rofl no im not kidding about this i want some REAL answers....... im thinking just use a sealed box with 2 type r 12 s but with a huge freaking amp can a hometheater amp even go 1 ohm stable ?
Old 1st January 2006, 12:42 AM   #8
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

Two sealed 12''s in a typical room are going to sound pretty anemic compared to what they'll do in a car, I mean you loose 15db+ of gain to begin with. Room gain in a typical living room doesn't even start untill ~35hz (and even then it's less than in a car)

Doesn't matter how much power you throw at them, you'll reach thermal compression and excursion limits long before you get within an order of magnitude of what you're car was achieving.

Transmission line, rear loaded horn, or possibly even just a large vented enclosure is what you should investigate.

No HT amps are 1 ohm stable, though some Pro amps are 2 ohm stable in stereo mode.
Old 1st January 2006, 12:45 AM   #9
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

OI time to pull the car in the garage and just sit in it I guess!
Old 1st January 2006, 01:32 AM   #10
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Your solution

I'm a newbie to this Forum and before I registered I spent a little time typing some words into their search bar.I learnt so much more.You could type high power sub system.By reading some results you could establish a better search field like,driver make amplifier requirements.Do you have lots of cash?What about your room and where you live?How many cabs do I need?.Its all there.Just try it.

happy hunting.mikee55

Hide this!Advertise here!