sub needed to go with hivi B3S - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default sub needed to go with hivi B3S

hello friends

i am currently gathering the materials to build the hivi Bs3 project

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

....i am looking for a sub to go along with it

i have heard good things and the tangband neo subs and have decided on the 6.5" sub

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-832

....and this plate amp

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-784

the problem comes in when trying to figure out how big to build the box...i am trying to use winisd but when i entered the parameters it says to build box at 2.9 liters which seems way too small for a sub box, even if its only 6 1/2"...so here are some ?'s i had getting started:

-for SPL do i use the value given for 1Watt/meter?
-for Pe (electric power) do i use nominal power? i.e. 50 watts RMS?
-for Re (driver DC resistance) do i use DCR impedence?
-since i cant seem to find a diameter, can i just use the equation area = pi * r^2 and use the value of effective piston area for the area in this equation?
-for Z do i use nominal impedence or do i use a value given as Zo (for this driver nom. impedence is 4 ohm and Zo is given as 31 ohm)
Old 30th December 2005, 08:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have not yet played with WinISD but thought it was funny that I am planning a nearly exact same project. I started reading the forums about 2 weeks ago and have also decided to use the Hi-Vi plans from Zaph with the same components for the subwoofer. Good luck and keep us updated on your project I will do the same when I get around to it
Old 30th December 2005, 08:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here is a link to a project I'm going to build for my TB sub. I'm also matching it up with the B3S full ranges like you are:

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=249677
Old 30th December 2005, 10:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I actually came up with the same plan using the smaller Dayton amplifier for a ported application. These where my box specs with a three inch length one inch diameter port
10.6 W
15.4 H
7.8 D
tuned to 34hz. The dimensions are designed to easily fit under a desk, and have three inches between the rear of the driver and the cabinet. A little bit of foam to line the box might be nice (not that there is much left to line). If you plug that into winISD/PRO it will have a -3db at 30hz which is fairly impressive, with an overall pretty flat curve.

(P.S. the subwoofer is 4 ohm, so it would get 70wRMS)
Old 30th December 2005, 10:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

did you guys get those dimensions by plugging the parameters into winisd or did you just get the overall internal volume using winisd and came up with the dimensions yourselves?

i guess i am not quite sure which dimensions to use or how to figure out what size port to use and what not...somebody wanna help?
Old 30th December 2005, 10:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I started with winISD measurements and modified the port to fit into the box by re-sizing it, then I exchanged an inch on two measurements to give a full three inches between box and rear of driver.

I suppose a more box shaped design with a bigger and way longer port might be a little better, but it would also suck under a desk.
Old 31st December 2005, 05:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

hey destroyer, i am having trouble figuring out how you are getting these dimensions...when i use winisd i get roughly .1 cubic feet sealed and roughly .2 cubic feet ported....both your dimensions and the link posted above to enclosure design plans for the tangband have internal volumes of over .4. am i missing something? was i supposed to take into account the volume of the plate amp and the port? how would i go about doing this?

also, using winisd, i calculated the box should be tuned to 49 Hz and using a different calculator i got 45 Hz...how did u get 34?

thx for the help
Old 31st December 2005, 06:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hmm I think I had the wrong Tang Band!

Can I get the specs you put in or the file for it? I am having trouble getting mine to accept the specs I put in, it gives me errors.

I had the W6-1139SA not SG..... Hmm does any one sell the SA? it would appear to be vastly superior.
Old 31st December 2005, 08:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

this is the link for the specs of the driver I am making reference to

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-832.pdf

what is the link for the driver you are talking about?

and here is the link for the other project whose values are very similar to the ones you got

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=249677

i dont think you got the wrong driver cuz your enclosure calculations slightly resemble the ones on the parts express support page....by that, i mean you got relatively close internal volume and box tuning numbers...

please help me with the confusion
Old 31st December 2005, 10:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I found it on WinISD Alpha.

Here is my new canidate.....

W5-1138SA
15 L .54 FT squared.
35 HZ

25 L .88 FT squared.
33 HZ

(I need to re-install the imperial version of winISD alpha so I can figure out the stupid port length easier, and the diminsions, I can never picture cm's)

That project gets no where near 30 HZ.

If I where to pick out 8 ohm drivers this would be easy. I however am trying to keep this project under a hundred dollars, fit under a desk, and hit down to 30hz. That TB is capable.

If any one wants me to look for 8 ohm ones, name a price for it an amplifier.

Hide this!Advertise here!