car audio sub in an HT setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering about using my eclipse 88120dvc 12" sub in an HT setup i heard they are nice ported.

here are the specs on the sub.

size: 12"
DC-R: 3.1 ohms/coil
Fs: 27 hz
Qts: 0.30
Vas: 3.20 ft^2
SPL/W/M: 89.4 dB
Qes: .322
Qms: 5.0
Sd: 0.0511 m^2

modeling it in winlsd i got 2.5 ft^3 with a singe 4" x 15" port tuned to 27 hz.

Someone help me out here am i right with my design here? Also this sub has dual 4 ohm voicecoils and is 500 watts rms i'm thinking i may have trouble finding an amp for it i'd prefer it to be a plate amp if possible.

Well, since this has been hanging untouched for a whole day, I will throw my ignorance into the ring just to draw some rebuttals.

Since you want a sub for HT, the Fs on this driver looks a bit high. It is possible to tune below Fs to get around a less-than-perfect match between a driver you have on hand and the desired application, but the results will not be optimal.

On the other hand, if you don't think you will miss the cool LFE information in the lowest octaves that has become quite the rage to find and share, or if your mains require the "small" setting on your receiver, you may be very happy with this design. As far as power for this driver, it is possible to wire the coils in series for a nominal 8ohm impedance. Assuming the 500W rating is RMS running both coils, you could look for a plate amp that will supply 500-800W into that load. Alternately, you could make the box dimensions such that two plate amps could be mounted on it and give each coil its own amp. And since you have to run wires to the sub anyway, you might consider an outboard amp from one of the pro audio lines which could be placed with the rest of the audio equipment. These can be relatively inexpensive and often have more options for connections and loads.

This is just some food for thought and hopefully it will draw in some more diverse and experienced opinions.

I've got that same speaker (I think)and was wondering the same thing. Is 88126 the same speaker? I have two of these speakers and want to use them for my dj subs. I don't have my HT yet so I use all my dj equiptment for music. I'm looking for some powerful bass for my setup. Clean not just boomy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.