4th order Subwoofer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2002, 07:43 PM   #11
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default I built a band pass sub

I build a band pass sub for my room for my computer useing a kicker c10" sub And man it was loud put about 40 watts into it and it was majorly loud. i was impressed.
Old 26th October 2002, 08:05 PM   #12
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Jason:

Bandpass subs can be very good. They can raise output per watt or lower it, depending on how they are built.

The bandpass sub here has a lot of bass extension, but as you can see, it plays at 79 dB @ 2.83 volts throughout most of it's range.

I certainly do not have anything against bandpass subs as a whole. I just thought that much can be gained by compaing this bandpass to a ported sub.
Old 26th October 2002, 08:18 PM   #13
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
yes i agree there awsome for stereo's that dont have alot of output and ect ect but there box sie is larger..

the system is efficiant witch is what i like..

J'
Old 27th October 2002, 02:47 PM   #14
Ilianh is offline Ilianh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ilianh
thanks for all the replies

one of my major concerns in all this is size...
2.6 cu.f is enormous.
the bandpass i did was 1.7 cu.f and it was a bit too big,
after seeing kelticwizard 's graphs, i see vented would be way better than my design. Any ideas on how to reduce the vented woofer size while keeping the same bass?
i wonder how they do it on this klipsch woofer on the promedia systems.

http://www.klipsch.com/images/produc...e/76_large.jpg

its a dual 8" vented.
Old 29th October 2002, 05:02 AM   #15
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, one way to keep the same bass curve while cutting down on box size is to use just one woofer. A 1.3 cu ft box will give the same bass curve as 2 woofers in a 2.6 cu ft box.

Isobaric is also supposed cut box size in half, though I often wonder if the arrangements of the woofers don't use most of that advantage up. Anyway, I have never built one. If nobody comes up with some advice about isobaric in this thread, you might consider starting another thread about an isobaric design for your sub. I can't help you much there.
Old 31st October 2002, 09:47 AM   #16
Per is offline Per
diyAudio Member

i've built 3 subs ín this design. The only real dissapointment in the design is that the respons is a little slower than both closed/vented designs. However 4th order can be highly impressive. The pushpull version will lower the units vas to ½ of what stated in the specs/measured.

Kind regards Per.
Old 31st October 2002, 06:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply per.
how does the pushpull work to reduce the size?
when i simulate a push pull 4th order bandpass, i get the same results as in a standart driver config...
Old 31st October 2002, 07:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Look for another driver

My thought about isobaric is that instead of wasting the 6dB increased output of one perfectly ok driver one should go looking for another driver. Have a look at the maximim SPL output (WinISD Pro) and enclosures with such a low F3 and a small woofer obviously make little sense.

Isobaric enclosures follow the iron law. You have 3dB less sensitivity but 3dB more power handling getting you to the same place with twice the power and half the internal space. However ports can be a problem to fit in such configurations as the box size gets small.

Just my 2c
Old 3rd November 2002, 03:33 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

yhea.. i might get new drivers... but those are 10$ each... got em REALLY cheap...

they are normaly 40-50 $

Hide this!Advertise here!